•prologue•

BETHANY CLOVER SAT, upstairs on her bed glancing through the letters the Shelby's had written since having left to war. She had kept all the letters tucked away in an old sewing box tucked her bed. The box was filled with various letters from the three Shelby boys and her older brother Calvin, all who were drafted to France to war. It was only a week prior that Polly had came home in a rush, her hands shaking as she handed Beth the big envelope with 'important' stamped in big red writing. In the corner, Bethany Clover and her address.

Beth had waisted no time, tearing open the letter but when she read that her older brother had died on the field, her life felt like it had fallen completely apart. Polly had known Bethany Clover her whole life but she swore she'd never seen anything half as heartbreaking as Beth's sobs that echoed through the living room as she sat in front of the fire, the only words being uttered were her brothers name as she cried harder with realisation. That was a week ago. But god knows what date Calvin had actually passed and Beth lay awake in tears every night wondering if the Shelby's would be next.

Ada walked into Beth's room in Polly's home and sat onto her bed reaching for Beth's hand softly as she too stared into the rusted tin of letters. "I'll all be okay Beth, only a few more days and the boys will be home soon!" Ada murmured with a grin, although being one of the youngest she had taken a maturing when the boys went away, like all women had too. "I suppose your right Ada, dearest." Beth spoke softly, placing the letters into the tin and sliding it back under the bed.

"Can you brush my hair for me?" Ada asked, pulling a pleading face with Beth who huffed. "And god I was staring to think you were beginning to like me. Using little brat." She teased, her voice nothing but a mumble as she brushed through Ada's short brown hair. The front door burst open at Beth gasped in shock, rushing out of her room to the top of the stairs to see Polly Shelby with the biggest smile she had ever seen on her face. "Whats got you so happy Pol?" Beth teased, Ada coming to stand beside her at the top of the staircase, the two girls shared knowing looks.

"They're coming home today." Polly yelled with a smile, clasping her hand over her mouth as she began to laugh in excitement. "They're coming home girls. They're coming home!" Beth's heart dropped in her stomach as Ada began to jump up and down squealing in excitement. "Polly if your joking, I swear to fuck-." Beth began but the smile on Polly's face told her a thousand words. "I'm not Beth. God. They're coming home. Go on get yourselves ready while I get Johns lot." Polly ushered, rushing off into the back. Beth stared at Ada in shock, watching as she practically skipped toward the nearest mirror to make sure she looked the part.

"We'll don't stand there like a muppet. Tommys coming back, don't you want to look good?" Ada teased, pulling Beth into her room with a tug. Beth finally cracked a smile, rolling her eyes as her heart began to pound as she attempted to comb her mad mess of blonde hair. She knew it would hurt not to see her brother waiting for her with his arms open and a bright smile but she also knew it would be wrong not to be there for her second family, the three boys she had grown up with all her life. Standing up she held her hand over her heart that hammered a million miles an hour.

"Come my beautiful girls. I already have John's lot dressed and ready, we have to go to the train station immediately." Polly called, turning around and walking down the stairs to gather up Johns group of  children, all who sat in the kitchen with their toys. Ada waisted no time grabbing Beth's hand and dragging her down the stairs both girls on a buzz of happiness to see their boys back in Small Heath.

Beth and Tommy were the same age and grew up as best friends all their life, their friendship was pushed at first from their parents business negotiations but as they grew older the pair became inseparable, they did nearly everything together and Beth was heart broken to see Tommy, go to war. Her other half was gone. The person she's stay up late talking too and sneak out too. The person who wrote her poetry and would sit out by the dock waiting for her every night so they could spend almost all their time in each other's presence. The first boy she'd ever kissed and her first and only crush. He was her Tommy.