☆ F O U R T Y-S E V E N ☆

ONE YEAR LATER

BETH LET OUT AN obnoxious laugh, staring at Alfie in disbelief as she tried to contain her laughter. Alfie simply shrugged, a small smile on his own face. "I didn't ask for you to move in with me, I just warned you about fucking Tommy, eh? Now your fucking living with me, eh? Yeah." Alfie teased softly, glancing up from his work book at the blonde woman who sat in front of him.

She had definitely changed since the last he saw her. She was tougher now, colder too. Her blonde hair was never left down and messy, always tied up out of her face neatly, she dressed properly and changed her posture to be more lady like even though she was far from it. Having shot a man with Tommy, Beth realised when she met Alfie that man was the first of many; so when he taught her how to fight and shoot a gun Beth listened and learned, taking notes.

"I liked your accent. It was different from mine and the rest of Birmingham's. Made me want to come back." Beth joked, rolling her eyes. Alfie had fallen in love. It was clear in the way as he so much as glanced at Beth that he loved her so toughening her up was probably one of the hardest things to do, it was like turning a flower who's petals had been ripped off by a greedy child, into a thorn rose, prickly to the touch. But even Alfie knew Beth needed to toughen up.

"You too beautiful, yeah yeah." Alfie murmured. The door to Alfie's office flung open and Finn, Alfie's brother smiled nervously and Beth instantly tensed, raising her eyebrows at his cautious expression. "There's a man here to see Beth. Says he's family from Small Heath." Finn explained, leaning against the door arch. Alfie stretched his back before slowly standing but Beth scoffed, quickly standing to her own feet. "Sit down before you bloody hurt yourself Alfie, I'll deal with it."

Alfie began to ramble in protest but with the death glare that Beth gave, he sunk back into his office chair nodding to Finn as if to say to follow her. Stepping out of Alfie's office and walking through the factory, Beth's heart fluttered even though she wouldn't admit her secret hope for Tommy to be standing there. He hadn't made contact with her, none of the Shelby's did but Beth didn't blame them, she simply tried to move on.

Nearing the front door, Beth swung it open her eyes widening as a man just a bit over her height turned around, a peaky hat covering his hair. "Beth?" John asked in disbelief, stepping forward. Beth took a step back, reaching down to her gun that was left in her pocket however she instantly regretted it watching as John's eyes saddened like a puppy, looking at her in disbelief. "Hello John." Beth said softly, never letting her eyes falter from him. "Can I hug you? I haven't seen you in a year and now your acting like I'm some strange man." John exclaimed.

Beth smile grew and she nodded quickly, allowing John to swipe her off her feet and hug her tightly. "Oh how I've missed you Beth." John muffled into her neck. Beth let out a small laugh squeezing him just as I tight. When he placed her to the ground, John inspected Beth's face shaking his head is disbelief. "You've looked like a thirteen year old for the past twenty years and you leave me for a year and come out looking your age. Must be the water over here."

Beth's smile faltered slightly at John's joke and she shrugged softly, biting down onto her bottom lip. "Are you going to come home? Finn and-." John began but Beth shook her head quickly scoffing. "I never want to see the inside of the Shelby Limited again nor your brother." She replied, watching as John's face twisted into a sour expression. "That's not fair, eh. Me and Finn and Arthur or Ada have done anything wrong to you! You don't have to come home for Tommy, Beth but atleast for me." John begged.

A small cough emitted from behind and Beth glanced over her shoulder at Alfie who stood hunched over, watching John. Sighing Beth turned back to John and took his hand in hers, squeezing it tightly. "I'm happy John. I'm not putting Tommy's feelings over mine for the first time since I was bloody fourteen. I'm not running around with notorious gangsters and putting myself in danger for a man who cheated on me with an Irish barmaid. I don't belong in Small Heath anymore and it's about time you figure that out for yourself."

John's eyebrows furrowed and he threw his hands up into the air angrily, pointing his finger over at Alfie who stood against the door. "He's not much better from what Tommy has told me. If Tommy knew I was fucking here I'd be killed but he needs you Beth. I need you. Please." Beth's eyes fell to the ground for a moment in silence as she weighed her pros and cons. Alfie stood of the door nodding at John. "I think it's time you go, eh?" Alfie nodded, walking over to stand beside Beth.

John let out a sad sigh reaching into his suit pocket and pulling out a white card, handing it into Beth's hands. Inspecting it, Beth looked up at John an eyebrow quirked in confusion but John just shook his head. "Please come home Beth." With that John turned away and began to walk down the rainy streets of Camden Town, without Beth at his side as he hoped. Turning her gaze from the envelope in her hand, Beth glared up at Alfie. "Why the fuck would you tell him to leave? John's my friend."

"Didn't want you making the same mistake twice." Alfie responded. Beth rolled her eyes, turning and walking back inside, through the factory and past all the workers. Walking back into Alfie's office and making herself comfortable in his chair, she ripped open the envelope in anticipation scanning her eyes over the words. Alfie had helped her to read and write and eventually over time she got the hang of it. She wouldn't be able to write a book or anything but she could read a letter and to Beth it was like winning the lottery.

Beth's eyes nearly popped out of her head as she read through the sentences.

wedding invite of
grace burgess and thomas shelby

The were to get married in the church in Small Heath, and have a reception back in what Beth presumed was the mansion Tommy and Grace now lived in with their child. Biting her lip, Beth reached up to run circles on her head in frustration. Walking back into his office, Alfie furrowed his eyebrows looking down at Beth. "I'm guessing by the look on your pretty face it wasn't a good letter." Alfie joked. Without responding, Beth slid the invitation across the desk to Alfie who picked it up and began to scan it.

"A wedding invitation." Alfie stated, looking down at Beth blankly. "Maybe you should go." Beth's eyes shot up looking at Alfie in disbelief. "And why would I do that?" She exclaimed. "The Peaky scum was-." Alfie began, but Beth raised her eyebrows in anger and Alfie sighed beginning again. "I mean, the Peaky boy was right. They're your family and your over Tommy. I think going back would do you some fucking good. Maybe for a day or two then come back here."

Beth let out a sarcastic laugh shaking her head. "You want me to attend the wedding that was supposed to be mine?"

"Yeah... Exactly."