☆ T W E N T Y-N I N E ☆

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE; I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD

BETH STARED AT the white wall beside her bed. Inspector Campbell had been right, Beth was on the verge of passing out and on the way to the hospital she followed Tommy into care until she eventually passed out and at his beside and she had been taken into the lady's ward and into emergency care. Upon hearing the news, John left his house in the middle of the night along with Polly and sat at the bottom of Beth's bed trying to talk to her but instead she just cried and stared at the wall a feeling of hopelessness drowning her.

John sat on the edge of Beth's bed and combed her hair carefully behind her ear off of her damp forehead and to prevent it from getting tangled with the stitches that covered nearly most of her right cheek. "I've to go home and help get my kids to school, give Esme a hand. You going to be okay gorgeous?" He asked quietly. Beth squeezed Johns other hand that was held tightly in hers and she nodded. John grinned and leaned down placing a kiss to the top of her head before getting up and leaving the room.

Polly shifted in her chair and reached over to rub Beth's arm. "You can leave Pol. I don't mind. Finn needs you." Beth croaked, her voice scratchy. Polly scoffed, shaking her head. "I know they put you on medicine my dear but you promise me you won't try to escape this room over to your lover boy when I leave." Pol taunted. Beth let out a soar laugh and nodded. "Promise." Polly leaned down pressing a kiss to the crown of Beth's head a muttered a small 'love you' before walking out of the women's ward in silence.

Beth waited until she heard the doors of the women's ward slam shut behind Polly and listened to the sounds of her heels clicking down the hall and when she couldn't hear them Beth sat up out of bed in a rush, hissing slightly from the pain in her head. Her injury's weren't as major as Tommy's but they were still bad.

Her nose and right cheek had bad bruising from were she had been punched, her left cheek was stitched up and she had a red blotchy mark on her neck from were she had been grabbed but her injury's were bearable. She quickly glared at the nurse who rushed back to scold her for being out of bed and rushed across the hospital, pushing open the men's ward she sighed in relief seeing Tommy awake and wiped the tears from her eyes that she couldn't help but let fall.

Beth turned around to glance at the nurse who rushed behind her and quickly walked over to Tommy's bed, sitting onto the end. The nurse cowered away when she realised the Shelby man had been watching her and she turned to leave quietly, shutting the doors behind her. Beth sighed in relief and looked over at Tommy who looked the worse she had ever seen him. "Tommy I-you're alive!" Beth exclaimed, crossing her legs. Tommy's eyebrows furrowed and he grinned, even though the pain in his gums was killing him he still smiled.

"Never mind fucking me. They wouldn't let me see you. Said you sat at my bed side and wouldn't let them fix you up until you passed out. " Tommy admitted. Beth shrugged simply staring back at Tommy. "I thought you were dead." She repeated, her voice cracking near the end as the tears began to well in her eyes. Tommy sighed and took her hand, pressing his lips to her cracked knuckles. "I'm here love, can't get rid of me that easily. Besides Pol, John and Arthur were more worried about you then me. "

Beth chuckled through her tears shrugging her shoulders. "What can I say Tom? I'm everyone's favourite." She joked. Tommy chuckled, even though it hurt and nodded. "I know love. I know. Had me worried sick when I woke up. Thought this was it. They wouldn't even let me in to bloody see you." Tommy grumbled. Beth sighed and nodded her head. "You look worse than I do Tom, probably feel worse too. It's best you stay in bed old man." Tommy glared down playfully at Beth and she let out a small laugh through her tears.

The door creaked open and Beth flinched in shock but Tommy kept his hold on her hand tightly. "Prepared for a visitor Mr. Shelby?" The nurse questioned. "No." Tommy spat. "I'm here on the Kings orders. I'm afraid I must insist." Campbell bribed, stepping in and closing the door behind him. "Ah you paid extra for daylight. The racketeering business must be booming." He exclaimed walking over to Tommy's bed side. Beth glared at the inspector looking him over in disgust. "Are you not going to thank me for saving your lives?"

Beth looked towards Tommy as he moved his hand up, pointing to his bedside table. "Beth, pass me my cigarettes." Beth leaned forward to reach for them but the inspector took them before she could reach them. He held the cigarette box up for a moment before holding it down to his side, Tommy sighing in defeat. "Three nights ago, in the cooperative stables in Montague Street, there was a murder." The inspector placed the box of matches and cigarettes onto Tommy's chest. "The Oxfordshire constabulary found his body in a shallow grave."

Tommy nodded his head. "I need to piss." Beth stood out of bed quickly to hold her hand out to help Tommy up who took it but the inspector placed his cane onto Tommy's chest pushing him back down. "I know it was you who carried out the murder of Mr. Duggan." The inspector declared and Beth dropped Tommy's hand, feeling light head she sat onto the bed beside his and Tommy watched in confusion as the colour drained from her face. Tommy took a cigarette from the box and placed it between his lips.

"Oh. By the way. Grace, she went to New York. A place called.. Ploughkeeper. She's married now." Tommy announced, dragging on his cigarette. Beth clutched her stomach in agony tightly as she reached for the cigarette box and took one, placing it between her lips she quickly lit the match and lit her cigarette. "To a banker. He's rich. I am sure she is very happy." The inspector replied. "You've been under my microscope for some weeks now. I have been observing every move you make. That's why I was on hand to save your life, and Miss Clovers."

Bethany took a drag on her cigarette a small laugh escaping her lips at the inspector. "I imagine being shot by a women hurts the same as being shot by a man. Just a bit more shameful. You know Mr. Campbell, when I got shot they gave me a medal. Yeah. No medal for you I bet." Tommy teased. Mr. Campbell sat up quickly and plucked the cigarette from Tommy's hands. "Mr. Shelby. Our reunion is part of a very carefully worked out plan, which has been in place for some time now."

"Every time you lean on that stick. I bet you see her face." Tommy taunted. "As a result of the information in my possession, I can charge you with murder at any time and provide two impeccable crown witnesses who's testimony will lead you directly to the gallows." The inspector leaned forward and grasped Tommy's neck and Beth sprung from her seat pushing him back harshly in instinct. "You are under my hook Mr. Shelby and from this moment forward, you belong to me."

The inspector glared at Beth looking at her with disgust in his eye and began to walk out of the room. "So get well quickly. I'll be in touch the moment I hear you can piss standing up." He shouted the doors slamming behind him. Beth glared at Tommy watching as he sat out of bed and she instantly grabbed at his shoulder trying to get him to lye back down. "You won't get fucking better if your off doing god knows what." Beth pried but Tommy shook his head.

"C'mon love, we're going to Charlie's yard and then I'm going to fucking London." Beth stood out of bed and began to help Tommy change into his suit shirt and trousers. "We." Beth corrected.