✞ S I X ✞

CHAPTER SIX ; MR AND MRS SHELBY

TOMMY SAT IN BED the effects of the drugs he had just smoked setting it on him as he watched Bethany who was sound asleep. She was curled up in his sheets in the same dress, along with Tommy's jacket after begging him not to make her change as she they climbed into his bed exclaiming she was too tired to change into actual nightwear. The rain hammered against the window and for a minute Thomas Shelby forgot the life he had as he watched the blonde who slept peacefully in his bed. That was until a loud shout was heard from outside causing Tommy to sit up, Beth's eyes opening in alert at the sudden movement.

Tommy pulled the curtain slightly and rushed to pull on a jacket he had hung up on the door, taking off running down the stairs. Beth sat up quickly rushing after Tommy who was running down the stairs of Polly's house, and out the front door that he had intentionally left open for Beth knowing she was following him. The rain poured down heavily as Tommy and Beth ran to Charlie stables. Beth's heart sank as she stared at Tommy's brand new pearly white horse who's leg had in fact gone limp. Her soaked blonde hair stuck to her pale skin as she heaved in breaths from running.

She watched Curly and Tommy who stood at the horses side with a frown. "Curly tell me." Tommy instructed. Curly knew better than to lie to the man in front of him so he nodded. "It's a curse Tom." He turned around to walk away but Tommy followed spinning him around. "Curly, Curly, Curly shhh, Curly, Curly. Tell me. Tell me Curly, what's wrong with the horse." Beth ignored Tommy and Curly as she stepped forward her hand brushing over the horses stomach in soothing strokes. "You bought it at the fair in bad feelings. The Lee's put a bad seed in the hoof. Got an old woman to put a spell!"

Beth frowned at the information watching Tommy step up. "So them Lee bastards cursed her." Tommy growled, placing his head into his hands. This was the third horse he had shot that month and Tommy was simply not impressed. Charlie nodded his eyes travelling to the soaked blonde who stood beside the horse her body cuddled into its side. "Whatever it is, he says it spread to the other foot." Charlie explained. Curly stepped up his hands hands shaking. "It's going to his heart, by tomorrow I'd say. Seen curses like this twice. Can't take them back, Tom."

Bethany stepped toward Tommy and Charlie but made no move toward Tommy knowing it was best just to leave them. "I told you Tom, better enemies to have than black blood gypsies." Charlie murmured, his eyes cautiously wandering to Beth who was born a Gypsy. Tommy took his head from his hands letting out a huff of air. "Get out." Charlie and Curly did as they were told but Beth stood still. "Outside. Now Bethany." Tommy spat, the sadness seeping through his words.

Beth only nodded pulling the soaked suit jacket tighter her body as she walked through the stable doors, standing outside under the shudder as she watched the rain pour to the ground, each drop splashing off the ground with intensity as she she waited for the gunshot to echo. The gunshot screaming through the air broke the loud silence of the night and she cringed knowing how unhappy Tommy would be for his third horse of the month to be put down. He walked casually out of the stables, his eyes distant as he held out his hand to Beth as she gladly took it.

They walked in silence, the only sound being the rain as she followed Tommy toward the Garrison, she knew better than to talk to him when he was in a mood, giving him time was the best and only option other than getting herself shot too. When they reached the Garrison for the second time that night, Tommy banged on the door. At first Beth got excited hoping Harry was in, she had become great friends with him over the years but when the door opened revealing the blonde barmaid now know as Grace, Beth rolled her eyes walking into the Garrison closely behind Tommy.