✞T W E N T Y-O N E ✞

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE ; BLACK STAR DAY

BETH LET OUT AN angry grumble and opened her eyes to reveal Thomas Shelby sitting on her bed. "Get up." Tommy demanded, watching her green eyes begin to flutter open only to shut tightly again. "No." Beth spat, turning towards the wall and pulling the blankets closer to her body in hope for heat.

Tommy sighed intently not wanting to risk an argument. "Today's December third, I need you to get up and help me." Tommy pride reaching over to pull the blankets back to reveal Beth's face. "Tommy from what I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong. Today's not my birthday. Today's not your birthday. Quiet frankly I don't think it's any of the Shelby families birthdays. So what the fuck is special about December third."

Tommy let out a huff of air and shrugged simply. "Black star day." Beth's eyes widened and she instantly groaned. "Fuck you and your stupid fucking plans that are going to get us killed." Beth grumbled, a small smirk beginning to tug at her lips. Tommy raised his eyebrows as if to tell her he was waiting. "Family meeting. Get dressed and come down stairs."

Beth watched as Tommy adjusted his peaky hat on his head and caught one last glance at the grumpy blonde in his bed before pushing himself off the bed and walking out of his room. Beth sighed reaching up to rub her eyes. Today was going to be a long, stressful fucking day. Beth changed into a skirt and blouse that she had worn the day before and checked herself once over before she walked out of Tommy's room and down the stairs of Polly's house and into the back room of the betting shop.

John stood up from his seat and opened his arms for Beth at her arrival. "Last time I bloody saw you I thought you was dead!" John exclaimed. Beth walked around the men in the room and let John pull her into a side hug. She grinned over at Esme who sent her a cold glare and Beth let out a small snort of laughter at the jealous woman. "Bethany!" Beth grinned at John one last time before walking towards Polly and sitting her self up onto the table. "You look shit. Do you feel any better?" Polly asked reaching forward to feel Beth's forehead.

Beth yawned tiredly and swatted Polly's had away. "I feel much better Pol, I'm just not a morning person." Tommy smiled teasingly walking past them. "Yeah we know." Before Beth could make a smart reply Tommy was at the top of the room and beginning his speech. "Right I've brought you all here today because this the day we replace Billy Kimber." Beth shuddered at the sounds of his name and only wished she could be the one to pull the trigger to kill Kimber herself.

"The day we become respectable. The day we join the official National Association of racecourse bookmakers. But first we do the dirty work. Now, you've all known this days been coming. I just haven't told anyone the date. We're going to the Worcester races. The track opens at one , we'll get there at two. Now, Kimber thinks we're going to help him fight the Lee brothers. But thanks to the efforts of our John, and his lovely new wife Esme, the Lees are now are kin. I interrupted those efforts this morning and, uh, I can assure you all John is making great sacrifices for the cause of peace."

Beth couldn't help but laugh along with the room at the flustered red John had become. "Yeah, alright." Beth let her eyes fall back on Tommy. "And what about Kimber himself?" She asked. "I'll deal with Kimber Beth. Any other questions." Tommy reassured. "Yes." Polly spoke up, walking towards the doors. "Oh, does anyone object if I bring a newcomer to the meeting?" Beth's eyebrows raised in confusion as she looked back at Tommy. "Depends who it is."

The doors opened a slightest and Polly turned back around to face the room. "I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Shelby clan." The doors creaked open wider and Ada walked in holding her baby in her arms, the room bustling in applause. "Welcome home, Ada." Tommy smiled. "We named him Karl. After Karl Marx." Ada announced, making Beth realise the little girl she had grown up annoying had become a woman with a baby of her own.

"Karl bloody Marx." Arthur laughed walking over to Ada. "Let me get a look at him." John let out a loud laugh at the same time Beth did. "Oh here we go now." John joked. Arthur placed his peaky hat onto baby Karl's head and held him up beside his face. "Hey look, he looks just like me." Beth grinned shaking her head. "That's his arse that looks like you, Arthur." She teased earning a playful glare from Arthur. Johns laugh overpowering the group at the small dig. "He's alright, he's a Shelby." Arthur chuckled, cradling the baby closer to him in his arms.

"Well Ada, am I forgiven?" Tommy asked. Ada nodded slowly. "If what Aunt Polly says is true, you are." The room fell in a silence. "It's true." Tommy confirmed and soon Ada was rushing forward and enveloping him in a tight hug. Beth stood up from the table and stretched her arms out, a happy smile on her face. "And just like that, the family's back together." Ada let go of Tommy leaving him to turn to Beth. "Tom, I want to shoot Billy Kimber." Beth stated, tugging at the front of his jacket in attempts to fix it back into place.

Tommy chuckled a small scoff escaping his lips. "You're not coming today whether you like it or not." Beth immediately groaned rolling her eyes. "I bet if I didn't have sex with you, you would have let me come." She teased. Tommy smirked shaking his head quickly. "You can stay with Ada and Karl. She'll let you handle Karl. Practice." Tommy grumbled not realised what he had said until Beth's smile grew bigger. "Practice? So you're telling me you want a baby Tommy or a baby Beth."

Tommy huffed scratching his neck awkwardly. Beth let out a small laugh and reached her hand up to brush it over Tommy's cheekbone. "I'm joking love, calm down. I'm not just ready for a baby yet either." Tommy's face fell in relief and without even thinking he leaned in and placed a quick kiss to Beth's lips. Beth smiled happily and went to lean back in until she heard a familiar loud voice fill the room. "Arthur! Arthur! Look they are really kissing she didn't bloody lie!"

Beth turned to glare at John who was standing across the table. Ada squealed happily rushing around the table to pull Beth into a tight hug. "I knew you two would get back together! Come on we'll go catch up." Beth grinned letting Ada take her hand and begin to pull her into Polly's house. Beth turned back to glance at Tommy one last time mouthing 'be careful' , she turned to Ada and began to listen to her ramble of questions.