☆T H I R T Y-O N E ☆

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE; THE BIG QUESTION

BETH WAS IN A WORLD of her own after Curly had blurted Tommy's secret. She wondered if he still intended to give her the ring, or if it was for Grace or another lover. Maybe he planned to give it to her and changed his mind. Maybe he didn't get her a wedding ring at all and from the lack of sleep and medicine her mind had made up words of her own and eventually Beth had just given up and begin to silently let her thoughts pick at her.

After two days tommy was able to sit up and Beth even though she wouldn't admitted it was exhausted. She hadn't slept in at least five days and it was starting to show, by the pale skin and dark bags under her eyes but as soon as Tommy got up, Beth had wanted nothing more than to stay up with him going against Tommy's requests of her taking a break. Tommy sat against the wall of the boat with Beth sat in his lap, her head back on Tommy's shoulder as he whispered his plans into her ear. Beth happily listening to him.

Tommy was in a better mood, a kinder mood. His body wasn't tensed like it was in Birmingham and he had no reputation to uphold in front of anyone so Beth enjoyed having Tommy to herself but a part of her was upset. Tommy was kind to everyone before war, he walked around with a happy smile on his face and even though Beth was relishing the moment on the boat with Tommy she wished she could have her sweet boy back again that would pull her down the streets of Small Heath, running from trouble, theirs hands locked as their laughed echoed the streets.

On the third day, Beth sat on the boat at Curly's feet like had done the night before watching the water flow beneath her feet. "You hungry yet Tommy?" Curly shouted. Tommy appeared out of the cabin holding his arm around his stomach. Beth sighed and stood up knowing Tommy needed his rest. "You know what Curly? I think I am. Where are we?" Tommy asked. "Heathrow." Curly replied. "One more day and we'll be there. I'll put something into the pan. Can you steer?"

Tommy chuckled and switched places with Curly. "I'll give it a go." Curly smiled widely. "You're nearly there too Tommy." He exclaimed before walking down into the cabin. "Your face is healing." Beth muttered, reaching over to swipe her thumb over Tommy's cheek. "Yours doesn't look much better." Tommy sighed, looking over quickly at Beth's face. "Wow thank you Tommy." Beth scoffed, sitting back down onto the boats floor. Tommy grinned kicking Beth into the side softly. "I'm joking love. It's just strange seeing stitches in your face."

Beth shrugged softly. "I want them out. I don't think I'll be able to sleep with them in." Tommy frowned, at her words. "I can get Curly to take them out." He offered. Beth bit her lip and looked back out at the water. "I don't know Tom, he might mess it up." She murmured nervously. "Not at all. I'll ask Curly to do it when he comes out and we'll get some food and you can finally go to bloody sleep." Beth grinned and leaned against Tommy's leg lightly, she pointed into the woods.

"We should jump out. Run into the woods, never look back. Build a house, get married and have little babies with blue eyes." Beth suggested playfully, smiling slightly. Tommy chuckled shaking his head. "Never thought there'd be a day we'd be getting married, thought we'd stay young forever." Tommy grinned. Beth's heart fell and her smile dropped. Tommy glanced down seeing her frown. "John got married before us, even had a handful of kids. Ada, my sweet Ada she's all grown up with a child and god bless her poor Freddie up in heaven."

Tommy thought for a moment of his pros and cons. "Marry me." He blurted. Beth took a double take, looking back up at Tommy for reassurance. She quickly scrambled to her feet and looked at Tommy in shock. "I'd get down on one knee but I'm steering." Tommy joked, glancing back out to the waters. Beth's hand clamped over her mouth in shock as she smiled widely. "Really? If you don't mean it nows the time to say it." Beth warned, grabbing onto Tommy's jacket. Tommy shrugged smiling.

"Bethany Clover, I've been in love with you since we first met at a bloody young age. I've been away from you for long enough and now I fucking have you and I don't want to ever let go again." He paused for a minute and glanced at Beth a smile on Tommy's face even through the pain. "Marry me." Beth felt her eyes water a big smile on her face. "This is the the part were you say yes." Tommy reminded. Beth nodded quickly without thinking and pulled Tommy into a kiss. She pulled away first leaning her forehead against Tommy's she smiled.

Tommy reached into his pocket and pulled out a small black velvet box and put it into Beth's hand. "Was going to give it to you when I got back from London but I didn't get the time. Thought you wouldn't like me to propose in a hospital either." Beth smile never left her face as she slowly opened the box, revealing Tommy's mothers wedding ring, tears falling down her face in happiness. "She gave it to you." Beth murmured. Tommy took the ring and slid it onto Beth's ring finger their foreheads still touching. "Now I'm giving it to you."

Beth glanced down at the diamond ring her heart fluttering. "I love you so bloody much Thomas Shelby." Tommy grinned leaning in and placing his lips to Beth's once more. "And I love you Bethany Shelby." Beth smiled wider than she ever had before staring between the man she loved and the ring on her finger before the cabin doors flew open and Curly burst through, falling onto the ground making it obvious he was listening.

"Sorry, didn't want to ruin the moment." Beth let out a loud snort of laughter looking at the grown man on the floor and reached up to cover her mouth as her laughter increased. Tommy chuckled shaking his head at Curly who smiled sheepishly. Curly stood up quickly and looked between the couple. "Foods done Mr and Mrs Shelby."

AUTHORS NOTE
we hit 20k omg omg omg, I'm so proud of Beth lol she's really just working her shit outttttt... thank you for the reads, please feel free to vote and comment
ally xx