☆ F O U R T Y-ON E ☆

CHAPTER FOURTY ONE; MAY CARLETON

AFTER JOHN AND BETH had gotten ice-cream, John followed Beth to her house both laughing until they eventually passed out from exhaustion. Tommy had offered for Beth to come to the auction but she politely declined. When Tommy returned from the auction, Beth was surprised to see her front door fling open and Tommy looking at her with worry. Beth looked up from the book in her lap over at Tommy, smirking slightly.

"Well somebody missed me." Beth taunted, watching as Tommy quietly closed the door and walked over to the couch sitting beside her. He shrugged slightly, lying down to have his head in her lap. Beth sighed tossing her book to the side and allowing Tommy to lie down on her legs. "What happened love?" Beth asked softly beginning to groom her hand through his hair. "There was a shooting at the auction- what if you had come? You could have been shot."

Beth let out a small laugh, looking over at the fire she had lighting. "It would take more than a bloody bullet to take you or I out. Plus I didn't go and you're alive so that's all that matters." Beth murmured softly. She paused for a moment her eyes widening. "Are you okay? Did you get shot? John, Arthur and Michael are they okay?" She rambled. Tommy chuckled, fiddling with her dress between his fingers. "I'm alive and so are the boys. I'm just stressed."

Beth hummed her body relaxing. "I know love, I know. Do you want me to do anything to help you feel better?" She asked innocently, her fingers still brushing through Tommy's hair. Tommy glanced back a playful glint in his eyes and a smile beginning to stretch across his pale face as he pushed himself up to be sitting beside Beth. "Kiss me." He demanded. Beth rolled her and leaned in, her lips softly touching off Tommy's, and she pulled away a laugh escaping her lips as Tommy looked at her in shock.

Before she knew it Tommy had grabbed her waist and pulled her onto his lap, both suppressing loud laughs and Beth leaned in, finally giving Tommy the rough kiss he wanted.

It had been a couple of days since the boys had returned from the auction and everything seemed to go back to normal. Beth knocked on the door of the betting shop, hoping someone would let her in soon considering the crowd of angry men waiting for the shop to open. "GO AWAY WE'RE NOT OPEN!" Esme shouted. Beth sighed and continue to pound on the door. "Esme, it's Beth. Let me in." The door flung open and and Beth stepped over the threshold, looking around as Esme smiled.

"What brings you here?" Esme asked. Beth shrugged pulling her jacket closer to her. "Is Tommy here?" She asked quietly. Esme shook her head, picking up a pile of books and began to move them towards a table. "He's not here yet, should be here soon." She replied. "John?" Beth asked hopefully, she had seen Esme since the night of her miscarriage but they had never gotten the chance to talk on there own, considering every time she went to her house John usually whisked her away with cheep alcohol and a deck of cards.

"Nope, just went out." Esme answered, dropping the books down. She paused for a moment before turning back to Beth. "Hey listen, I know Tommy said not to say anything about the miscarriage and I know you probably don't want to talk about it but you were in a state when I found you and I just want to make sure you're okay." Beth smiled lightly letting out a breath she didn't realise she was holding. "I'm fine, thank you. Better." Beth answered.

"You can have my child if you like. Screaming bloody murder all day and night." Esme suggested. Beth let out a small laugh and shook her head. "I'll pass thanks, Tommy would probably hide away in Polly's if I brought home a crying child." Beth grinned, Esme let out a snort of laughter as she continued to tidy. "I'm here if you need a chat anyways, your in my house enough anyways." Esme teased. "Just don't put a knife to my throat like crazy fucking Polly."

Beth opened her mouth to talk but another knock on the door made her stop. Esme groaned, rolling her eyes. "We're not opened for winnings yet." Beth shouted. "I'm here to see Thomas Shelby!" A woman's voice shouted through the door. Beth and Esme shares a look before Esme rushed towards the door. A pretty woman walked through the door looking around the den in awe. She went to walk further into the den but Beth stood in front of her glaring at her.

"What's your name?" Beth asked, an eyebrow raised. "May Carleton." The woman, May replied holding out her hand for Beth to shake. "Mr Shelby has his proper meetings in his other office." Esme stated. "This was the address he gave me." May explained. "He gave you this address?" Beth asked in confusion. "He said it was a gambling den." May replied. "I told him that I'd always wanted to see one since I'm always reading about them in the papers. Quite the big scandal in the telegram recently. Anyways he said I could come and have a look."

Beth held in a laugh as she glanced over at Esme who was glaring into Mays face. "Now I feel a bit of an idiot because I'm early and he's late, and I have no idea how to behave." May replied, looking around sheepishly. "In a gambling den?" Esme repeated. "I'll wait in the car." May suggested walking towards the front door. Beth sighed and shook her head. "If we open that door again, they'll all want to come in."

"Like flies. So what are you?" Esme asked. "What am I?" May repeated. Beth's eyes refrained from rolling as she looked at the pretty woman in front of her in jealousy. "To Thomas." Esme clarifies. "I'm going to train his racehorse, for Epsom." May explained. "You know horses?" Esme asked, her mean glare turning into a look of awe. "Yes. Do you?" May asked. "Born riding. I slept in a manger when I was a baby."

"I was born riding too." May nodded. The door to the betting shop began to rattle and suddenly it flung open, John appearing and smiling over at Beth and Esme. "There's a fucking great Riley parked out there and there's no one watching it." John shouted, walking over to Beth. "John. This woman says she's training Thomas' race horse." Esme said. John stepped back and surveyed May. "He's told us a lot about you."

Beth shifted in anger, her jealousy threatening to explode as May refused to back down under John's state. "You don't know where he is, do you?" As if on queue Tommy walked into the room, his hands in his pockets. "Sorry I'm late. There was a family matter. Esme, keep it locked up for a minute." Tommy explained before he glanced over at Beth. "Are you okay? You look sick." Tommy stated. Beth turned away from a Tommy, a small frown on her face as she avoided his stare.

Tommy coughed awkwardly and turned back to May. "I'll show you around." He suggested, nodding over to Josh who grabbed Beth's hand and pulled her to his office. As soon as the door closed John nearly fell on the ground as a loud roar of laughter escaped his lips. Beth glared down at him as he laughed loudly. "What's so funny?" She asked sourly, moving to sit on top of his desk. "Your so-so jealous!" John exclaimed through laughter. Beth rolled her eyes, giving John her middle finger.

"Shut up John!"