✞ N I N E T E E N ✞

CHAPTER NINETEEN; SHOCKED AND SHOT

One; shock
Tommy froze holding Beth in his arms his eyebrows furrowing in confusion. John pushed Finn back behind him into the hall so he wouldn't be afraid of Tommy when he exploded. Arthur's glass of rum fell from his hands smashing pieces of glass that scattered on the ground. Polly pushed her chair back as fast as she could her mouth fell open in shock.

Two; panic
Tommy's knee's cut out from under him and he fell to the ground letting Beth down softly into his lap cradling her head in his hands. John rushed over falling at Beth's side his breath beginning to hyperventilate in worry. Polly's eyes dance around the room quickly trying to think of a solution. Arthur quickly rushes to close the kitchen door seeing Finn peer through watching Beth with tears in his eyes.

Three; vulnerability
Tommy tares his state from Beth and looks up to Polly with the most vulnerable look she had ever seen him have. His eyes clouded with tears telling his emotions for him. "Polly! Polly! Do something!" He roared letting his eyes wander back to the pale girl who lay unconscious in his lap. Polly's hands reached up to tug at the roots of her long hair as she watched them panic.

Four; breaking down
Tommy watched as Polly pushed John out of her way and crouched down on the floor beside Beth. "Tommy, Tommy, look at me, you need to calm down." Polly instructed. Tommy hadn't let the tears fall from his eyes but he was close enough to and his breathing had increased to a fast rate. Tommy's hands shook underneath Beth but Polly's lack of worry had calmed him down slightly. "Bring her up to bed and I'll bring up some food, she's probably just exhausted and starved."

Five; Guilt
Tommy lifted up from out of her lap and carried her bridal style up the staircase with ease. He walked down through the hall until he reached his bedroom and kicked the door open. He walked over to his bed and gently lay Beth down and began to push the stray hairs from her face. "It wouldn't have fucking happened if Tommy could have kept his fucking mouth closed!" Johns voice echoed up the stairs and Tommy sighed intently. "Don't be daft John he didn't take the food from her mouth, you know what she's like!"

Polly's footsteps stomped up the staircase and Tommy's silence had been broken. She walked into the room and placed her hand down on Tommy's shoulder but his eyes never left Beth's cold body. "Go do your business Thomas, she's just after fainting, probably from stress and exhaustion. She'll be fine when I get some food into her." Polly placed the bowl of soup onto the dressing table beside her and took the bottle of rum she had tucked under her hand.

She placed it under Beth's nose to breathe in and like a miracle had happened Beth's eyes shot open and she instantly tried to sit up but Tommy pushed her back onto the bed. A scared whimper left her mouth as she reached for Tommy once again somehow managing to doge the hands who tried to pull her back. Polly chuckled watching Beth wrap herself around the peaky gangster who sat at the end of the bed. Tommy sighed brushing her hair with his hand. "C'mon love, you have to eat something."

Beth grumbled under her breath in annoyance but leaned away from Tommy to glance at Polly who watched her with an amused smile. "There's soup there, will I need to spoon feed you it or are you actually going to eat it Bethany?" Beth huffed and took the soup into her lap, she shoved a spoonful of it into her mouth and raised her eyebrows daringly at Polly. "Pol, get John to come up to Beth to keep her company I've business to attend to."

Beth's eyes darted to Tommy instantly glaring at him. "What business? Can't I just come I've eaten enough Tom, please." Polly furrowed her eyebrows as much as she had seen Beth cling to Tommy this time it was different. Beth was scared and she wanted Tommy but Tommy wanted business. "No, my heart jumped out of my chest about ten fucking times down there when I saw you lying in my arms looking dead. You eat the rest of that fucking soup or so help me God I'll come back and spoon feed you it myself."