Grand Piano (Beynika) Part 1

Had this sitting here forever tbh

Onika's POV

Growing up I was never the type to act out

Growing up I was never the type to act out. I followed the rules and yearned for approval from my mother and other adults in my life and I got it. Then eighth grade hit. I tried to stay on the right path but I was alone. My father ran off and had another family and my home life fell apart.

Somewhere inside of me there's still a little girl seeking recognition and approval but even deeper than that, I want to be seen. The kids who need the most love will ask for it in the most unloving of ways. That's why I ran to the streets.

"So what are we getting into tonight since Nicki said we can't go to Project Swerve?" Solana asked.

"I never said you can't go to Project Swerve, I said I can't. You two can do whatever you want," I defended.

Project Swerve was an infamous party that only happened once a year. Every teenager in the city from our side (east side), and all the miscreants and kids tired of their cookie cutter lifestyle on the west side, met up in an abandoned library for a night of partying.

It was the only time for the entire year that the constant feud between people from two different walks of life could be put behind us and we could get along. I was never one to pass up a good party but I had to play it safe tonight. This wasn't Project Swerve, this was Project Swerve part two.

The original kickback took place a couple months ago and got shut down when someone called in a drug bust. Everyone damn near trampled each other trying to get out of the building as the sirens echoed in the distance.

I admired the perseverance of the party planners but I didn't see why I should put myself in harm's way again. Due to the risk that went with me getting caught by the police, I opted to skip out on the festivities this time around. After all, there's always next year.

"But you know we ain't going without you," Nas pointed out causing me to shrug.