☁ Memory Lane ☁

"This is what I like about photographs.

They're proof that once, even if just for a heartbeat,

Everything was perfect."

~Jodi Picoult

.....

Chapter 3

Y/N POV

I wake up with a jolt. My phone is ringing. I pick up my phone and answer it.

"Yes, mom? What's up?" I ask, groggily. It comes out raspy.

"I'm just calling to ask you for something. I left an old box of stuff in your office could you bring it over."

"I'm gonna need a little more information, Mom. What's in the box?"

"Stuff from our old house." I absorb this information, an awkward silence falls upon us.

"Alright, bye then." She's about to hang up, but I stop her.

"And mom use the mind link next time," I add teasingly

"I will, I promise. I'm still working out this phone thing, I don't know why you got this thing for me."

I did get a phone for a couple of people in our pack. I thought the little things were cute and could be useful when negotiating with humans. It's important to know what is going on in their world. I didn't use my phone often. I mainly used it for the human thing, taking pictures, playing games, and watching fun videos.

"Okay, bye, mom."

I hung up and began searching for the box in my storage closet. After a while, I find a box labeled 'Old home' and take it to my desk.

One by one, I take the items out. Pictures of me, mom, and dad.

I kiss the picture of him. Oh, Dad, I miss you. Pressing it to my chest, I sit there and think about him.

~Flash Back~

"You're not holding it right, kid," Dad complains.

"Shh, I know what I'm doing, dad."

I release the arrow, it hits the mark perfectly. "What I tell ya?" I bragged.

"Yeah, yeah, kid," He says, giving a half shrug and cocks grin, "You get it from your dad, y' know. Isn't that right little alpha?"

"Yeah, totally," I agree, rolling my eyes at the use of my nickname.

That whole day, Dad trained me exclusively, we did just about everything. Just me and him. It was our designated Daddy-Daughter time. Dad always wanted the best for me, he loved me. Dad trained me because he wanted me to be able to protect myself. At least, that was what he told everyone when they asked him why he trained a girl like a man.

Well, it wasn't completely a lie.

He wanted to be independent and strong. He always wanted me to not need a male to protect me, even my mate. Even before I turned eighteen, men years older than me called themselves my mate. Claiming that because I hadn't come of age, that I couldn't feel the bond between us. All of them just wanted to become alpha and own me. It happened so much that I had a large amount of "mates" I denied all of them, of course.

They were all so shallow and had huge egos. I hated them all. I refused to be owned, like a toy. I am mine. Nobody could rule my pack like I could. I didn't want a mate that only wanted to control me and my pack. Dad showed me that.