seven

"Don't Worry Baby" -The Beach Boys

Dean Martin's voice had soon died out, the record had finished playing, and Anna wasn't okay after hearing the news of Lars' father. She felt an unbearable ache in her chest and throat. She couldn't speak. She couldn't move. 

     Why was she so distraught? The old man wasn't her father, she wasn't there for Lars when it happened, and Anna had left Lars with no explanation when she knew his father was sick. That whole year, she could have been there for him.

     Anna shook her head, pulling away from the broad man. When she saw Lars wipe at his eyes, she felt like a colossal bitch. He was crying. Of course, he was. Why wouldn't he be? No wonder Lars was so upset with her all those weeks ago.

      It wasn't just the fact that she left him with no explanation. She left him at possibly the worst time in his life, leaving him completely and utterly alone.

     "Anna, I know what you're thinking. But you and I both know how sick he was. You leaving had nothing to do with it," Anna's eyes widened at his words. She wasn't even thinking that at all, but now she was.

     "Oh, God!" She cried. Anna covered her mouth at the outburst. Anna didn't think it because she wouldn't give herself that much credit. But then, suddenly, she remembered all the times his father would call her his daughter, saying he wished she was. Tears slipped from her green eyes violently.

     "It happened again!"

     Lars was confused at her outburst, realizing that she must not have been thinking that, but now she was. He almost kicked himself because of it, "What happened again?"

     She shook her head, the two loose braids she wore all day were frizzy, and tendrils were falling out of the braids, making her look messy, "I can't even begin to express how sorry I am, Lars. I left you with no word, no communication, and your dad...

     "Oh, God your dad. I truly loved him as if he was my own, and you know that. I have no right to be upset right now. I left you both even when I knew he was sick."

     "But, Anna," Lars shook his head as he looked down at her, "Your grandma was ill and from what you told me, no one in your family was willing to step up, were they?" He tried to reason.

     She hated it when he was so understanding because she didn't grow up with people like that. She grew up with hardheaded, victim-playing assholes who blamed her for all their misfortunes. She didn't know how to handle his general kindness.

     "That's not the point! I could have..."Anna groaned loudly before continuing, "I could have gotten my own head out of my ass and been a damn adult. I should have called one of my lowlife white trash family members to get their fat asses in gear to go take care of her until you were well enough to come with me. Or at least if you could spare me for a few weeks..." She had drifted off thinking about her own stupidity.

     Lars sighed, walking closer to her trembling figure before sticking one of his hands in her hair and the other around her back, pulling her into him, "I didn't need you to take care of me, Anna."

     "Maybe not," she pulled away only slightly to look up into his pale blue eyes and slightly tanned face, "But you still needed me there with you."

     Lars couldn't help it when he leaned down to plant a long kiss on her blazing cheek. She blew out a long breath at the contact his lips made, making her hands clutch his plain old t-shirt by his hips. Her eyes closed as he tried to help calm her down, rubbing a hand up and down her back.