thirty-three

"Simply the Best" -Noah Reid

Anna sat in her room, alone, for the first time in months, and all she wanted to do was cry. 

    It was supposed to be a happy day, for it was her favorite time of the month. It was November, and Northern California was chilly, the icy winds would blow through her hair and make her pink cheeks blossom.

     In her room, the speaker played a slow melody behind her softly. 

     "The Weight" by The Band caroused the room, the song making Anna wish deep down that Lars was there with her, swaying her left and right while he held her closely. She couldn't understand why she was so...sad.

      Her heart began to hurt, throat closing and burning as she stood in front of her old mirror, the one that used to be her mother's but was now hers. The turquoise square frame showed off her dress to be something elegant, formal, but simple as well. 

     The sleeves were off the shoulder, had puffy sleeves that ended at the tops of her elbows, and the train was shortened so that she could make the hike she needed later on.

      The rust-colored flower crown that adorned her wavy hair was pinned tight, the wind couldn't take it from her head. Anna flicked her curtain bangs away from her lashes as they fluttered, trying her hardest not to shed a tear.

      Lars was out front, waiting for her with the photographer and Darcy. She could hear the men talking, patiently waiting, but she couldn't move. Anna quickly grabbed her smartphone, instantly clicking on Lars' name, texting him to come upstairs to her. 

     She saw that he had read the message the second she sent it, but no reply was given. She threw the phone on the bed behind her and waited.

     It was seconds later that he appeared in a cedar-colored suit with a white button-down, dark brown bow tie to match. The same flowers and leaves she had at the crown of her head adorned his left peck. His dress shoes hit the wooden flooring as he quickly walked to their bedroom. When he pushed the door open more to see her, he stopped suddenly at the sight of her.

     "Anna..."

      He was at a loss of words. 

     She was the writer, not him. 

     Yet, in his extensive vocabulary of the English language, he could not describe how beautiful he found his soon-to-be wife. Before any complements were made, he saw her face in the mirror, and as she turned back to look at him. He saw what she felt, taking long strides to her without so much as an utter of a phrase.

     The song from before had finished long before she messaged him her SOS, "Love Of My Life" by Queen now played throughout the room. Mr. Mercury's sultry voice was almost like a siren call to Lars, placing his hands on his woman softly before bringing her into his chest.

     Anna's hands instantly went to around his waist, under his jacket, and up to the nape of his neck, essentially bringing his head down to her. He instantly began to move their bodies slowly as the song played. Anna sighed into his jacket before taking a long whiff of his cologne, her eyes closing in bliss.

     "What's the matter, my love?" He had asked her in a whisper.

     Anna didn't know what to say.

     She didn't want to tell him that her mind and body were acting up again. They had such a great few months, even through the bickering, the death of her cat, and all the secrets she had to spill. She didn't want to ruin it by telling him she missed her mom and wished for her.