King Complex

Sienna's POV

Great, that's just great. It's bad enough that I transferred here in the middle of the academic year, but did I have to spill soda on myself on the first day? For a werewolf, my reflexes were pretty shit.

"Um, excuse me, where is the bathroom?" I asked a girl who was passing by me. She stopped talking to whoever she was talking to on her phone and gave me a once over.

"Who're you?" She asked, but it wasn't a derogatory tone, it was one of pure curiosity.

"I'm the new girl." I supplied lamely. In this middle of nowhere university, didn't everyone know everyone anyway?

Her bright blue eyes widened and she blushed at her own bashfulness. "Of course! I'm sorry, the bathroom is down this corridor, to your right. There should be a big green sign." She supplied, much more collectively now.

I nodded, gave her a polite thanks and walked away before she could ask me anything else.

A lot of collective stares were directed at me as I made the short walk to my destination, but no one dared approaching me. That was good, I was glad. If things went right nobody was going to discover who I really was.

Once inside, I took off my shirt and placed it in the sink - attempting to rinse out the stain and then dry it under the hand dryer. For goodness sake! I was a Princess!

Funny how I used that as a complaint and a privilege when it suited me.

My phone buzzed and I saw that it was another message from my brother, the future King. I didn't bother to open it. Not yet, not when I could say something that I didn't mean.

When I stepped out again, there she was, standing nervously before noticing me notice her. I knew that I had that effect on people, being a royal automatically intimidated people in my presence, and I was just fine with it. It would keep most people at a distance - but not this one. She seemed....tenacious.

I waited as she walked over to me, a hesitant smile on her face. Her short brown curls made her look shorter than she actually was, but she looked cute nonetheless. "New girl, I was wondering if you wanted to sit with us? I know that lunch is nearly over" - she gestured at my now dry top -" but from tomorrow, I mean." She seemed genuine - she didn't know who I was either, I could tell that she was human.

Maybe this was what I needed, somebody who wasn't a werewolf.

"No, but thank you."

Maybe I needed no one.

Her face fell, a small frown still remained on her features but she nodded politely, not really taken aback.

What? I said thank you. I thought to myself, squashing the small seed of guilt that was blossoming in the pit of my stomach.

"Oh, well. In case you change your mind - I'm Leilani, it was nice to meet you." She said courteously before walking away, not asking for my name. Maybe she knew I wouldn't give it. She was a good reader then.

I turned down the hallway and walked in the opposite direction, off to find the next class before the bell rang, signalling the end of lunch.

Accounting.

It was fascinating. I loved everything there was about finance and numbers and marketing. I wanted to be a sole owner of a business, head an entire chain, make something from scratch. It was a small goal, considering what life had actually laid out for me. I shook off my thoughts and went back to paying attention to the professor. He was a nice man, hadn't asked me to introduce myself to the class like the Business Administration professor had, and for that I was glad.