Joel Miller - On Patrol PT2.

Your POV.

After a grueling climb to the ski lodge we dismount our horse, Joel helping me inside as he barricades the entrance.

He breathes heavily, hugging himself from the cold.

"It should be safe here" he says to me with a little reverence.

Looking at my arm.

"Here, let me" he says calmly, getting a medkit out and bandaging my arm, bracing it.

"Just until we can get back to Jackson" he grumbles clearing his throat.

"Thank you"

I find a seat and sit down taking a chance to warm up.

Hugging my knees, breathing warm breaths into my hands.

Joel holsters his pistol taking his back pack off, then his jacket. Leaving him in a jumper, he really must've wrapped up unlike me.

"Take this, theres no blankets so its the best you've got" he says sitting on the ground across from me, throwing his jacket at me.

I catch it and look at him, smiling.

"Why are your people so nice? Most gangs i run into want to kill me or eat me"

"We've found a way to live without mindlessly killing folk...its the right thing to do, besides you didnt decide to shoot Ellie...so thank you"

"You two sound really close"

I put his jacket on, its a size or two above mine so it was a little baggy but its keeping me warm so im not complaining.

"Yeah we are, been with her 3-4 good years now"

"How'd you meet?"

"Well, i smuggled her across the country, we travelled for so long and shes saved my life more times than i can count..."

"Thats lovely, at least you have her still..."

He looks up at me, he looked uncomfortable before opening his mouth to speak, pausing then sighing.

"Im not pressuring you for an answer but...what happened? I need to know, my family is at stake and if what you were saying before is true then ill help you but..."

I look away at the snow blocking the windows, it was waist high now.

Shit, might as well get this over with.

"I was 10 or 11 when all this started, my family never stood a chance during the beginning and my parents turned...my sister was only a baby so i killed them..."

He didnt say anything and remained calmly listening to me.

"After that i ran and found people who helped me raise my sister and myself before that all went to shit when i turned 17, my sister surprised me so much during these times and it scared me most of the time"

"Why?"

"She was raised to be a killer...by the time she was 7 she could fire a gun, its why im so good at it as well...we ran and she wanted to stay but i forced her to come with me...we were alone after that"

"That aint right..."

"You're telling me"

I felt the emotions coming through from my sister, i didnt hate her but she deserved a better life.

"Y'all right?"

"Yeah...then after another few years we ran into this group who welcomed us in with open arms at first...they seemed fine but after awhile something felt off, i hunt my own food but my sister shsred their food too...i found out how they got their food"