The Swing of Things

"How did you manage to get back to Hogwarts anyway?" Angelina asked her the next day at breakfast.

Lacey laughed and told her what her and Emilie had done to both get kicked out and have no choice but to come to Hogwarts.

They had charmed the whole school to flip upside down (not actually, it just seemed that way to those inside it) and even transfigured some of the students into various woodland creatures to add to the chaos.

When Lacey was done explaining it all to Angelina (and the other Gryffindors who were nearest to her) they all burst into laughter at imagining how the stuck up French school had handled it.

Fred was watching Lacey as she recalled the story and loved how her eyes crinkled as she laughed harder than he'd heard her laugh in months. He could tell she definitely needed the space to heal from everything that happened the previous year, but he was hurt that she pushed him away. As though she didn't need or want him anymore. Like he was nothing to her; but to him, she was everything.

Lacey glanced in his direction and her smile brightened even more, causing Fred to smile back at her without even realizing but let his smile drop to a frown once he remembered how he felt, how he didn't want her to get the wrong idea about them being best friends again.

Fred was having a hard time with her around. Constantly arguing with himself about the whole situation. She was giving him space but he desperately wanted her in his arms. It's crazy how someone can completely destroy you, yet you'll still be there for them no matter what.

Lacey and Angelina stood up and headed to their first class of the day, still talking about what they had missed in each others lives and walked up to Emilie (who's first class was the same as theirs).

"Ready for transfiguration?" Lacey laughed, remembering the prank they had pulled.

"I'm ready for you to tell me how you and Fred are," Emilie replies, wiggling her eyebrows.

Lacey rolled her eyes and laughed, "I haven't really spoken to him. I don't think he wants me to."

"He never stopped talking about you when you weren't here. Like seriously," Angelina told them.

"Well he's obviously over me. I just want to be friends again. I knew dating him could break up our friendship, and yes I know it's one hundred percent my fault."

"You had two incredibly tragic events happen to you. He can't hold that against you," Angelina said.

"If the roles were reversed, what would you do?" Emilie asked her.

"I'd do exactly what Fred's doing. I can't imagine how much I hurt him. You guys didn't see his face when I broke up with him.. he's just so sweet. I miss him. I miss GEORGE. I miss them being my friends," Lacey let out a sigh.

"So then, be their friend. You don't need to date Fred just to be with them, right?" Said Emilie.

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks girls, you guys are my therapists."

The three girls laughed as they walked into the classroom and sat down near the back, waiting for the rest of the class to show up.

Fred, George and Lee walked in and sat in the three seats in front of them. Lee turned around to speak to Angelina about what she wanted to do at the next Hogsmeade trip. George turned around to introduce himself to Emilie. His face slightly pink.

"George Weasley, the better looking twin, pleasure to meet you," he said to her with a grin.

"Emilie Prescott, nice to meet you too. I've heard a lot about you and Fred," Emilie said.

Fred turned around when he heard his name and gave Emilie a small smile, "Fred Weasley," he introduced.

"I'm aware," Emilie said cheekily.

Lacey turned red and tried to kick Emilie under the table. Fred looked at her for a second and turned back to the front once Professor McGonagall walked into the room, Lacey thought she could see a small smirk on his face but wasn't sure if she'd just imagined it.

After Transfiguration they had Defence Against the Dark Arts. No one had told Lacey about the lack of learning taking place with this new teacher so she walked into the class completely unaware.

"Wands away, children," Umbridge called in her sickly sweet voice.

Everyone put their wands away except for Lacey.

"You must be Miss. Lupin, welcome to the Ministry approved Defence Against the Dark Arts," she said.

"Yeah, um, thanks?"

"Please put your wand away and get started on the reading from chapter twelve today."

"When do we actually practice though?"

"There is no need to practice, Miss. Lupin," she giggled.

"Wait, what? No need to practice defending ourselves? Are you serious?"

"Quiet now, Miss. Lupin," she said, less sweet and more demanding.

"Pardon my French, but this is bullshit," Lacey said, earning some laughter from the other students, especially Fred and George, "also, we're not children anymore. We're going to be in the real world in just a few months. This is what the ministry wants us to know? Nothing? I know all you ministry officials are too scared to open your eyes to what's happened, but come on. You guys can't be that thick."

"Detention!" Umbridge shouted, her face red.

"No thanks, I'm leaving."

With that, Lacey stood up and started packing her bag so she could leave and spend her time actually doing something useful. 

"Petrificus Totalus!" Umbridge shouted, pointing her wand at Lacey.

Lacey's body froze involuntarily and she began to fall but Fred had already been halfway across the room as soon as Umbridge pulled out her wand and pointed at the blonde and caught her before she could whack her head on a desk or the floor.

"Oi, what are you DOING?!" Fred shouted at the pink toad.

"Children must obey their superiors, Mr. Weasley. Now go back to your desk and do your work."

Fred picked up Lacey and left the room without saying anything, grabbing his wand as he walked out and brought Lacey to the Hospital Wing to get the jinx reversed.

Lacey's heart was beating fast being so close to Fred again. He didn't glance in her direction but she could hear his heart was beating faster than normal, too.

Fred began telling Madam Pomfrey about what had happened to Lacey and she quickly unfroze Lacey and pursed her lips.

"You both need to watch what you say and do around her. I do not condone her activities or her methods, but I don't want any of you guys to get hurt. I've had too many students in here this year for various injuries."

With that they walked out of the Hospital Wing walking side by side.

"Thanks Freddie," Lacey said in a sweet voice.

"No problem, are you okay?"

"Yeah, thanks to you. What is wrong with that woman!?"

Fred let out a forced laugh and explained to her that it's been going on since the beginning of the year.

The two of them continued talking well into lunch and once they made it to the Great Hall Lacey sat next to Fred and they spoke with all their friends. It felt like it used to, back before they dated and Lacey ruined everything. She was happy. She hoped Fred was too.

She looked at him and sent him a big smile, which he returned. Both of them didn't need to speak about what happened in the past right now, it was too fresh, but they could be friends.