Chapter two

New Orleans-1820

That morning, Stella spent what felt like forever in the bathtub

That morning, Stella spent what felt like forever in the bathtub. She sat there doing nothing until her skin began to wrinkle. All the while, her Handmaid Eva chatted about everything and nothing as she ran her fingers through Stella's hair, washing the grime out of it. Eva noted that Stella's hair seemed dirtier than it did on most days as though she'd been rolling around in mud. She chose not to comment on it, for she believed nobody could truly understand the complexity known as Stella Mendacium.

"I think you're in need of a trim Miss Stella," Eva said as she massaged the young woman's scalp. "Your hair's so long now. It must be heavy."

Indeed, her dark hair was getting closer and closer to her waist.

"I quite like it long. It's a barrier of sorts. Sometimes, I like to plait it so I can move my head quickly and hit Mr Gerard in the face with it. Lord knows he deserves it."

It was difficult for Eva to resist a chuckle. The Governor was a horrid man but Eva could get in huge trouble for saying so.

"You shouldn't say things like that, Miss Stella," She reminded the girl politely. "If your Father found out-"

"He'd do nothing." She wasn't wrong. Her Father adored his daughters too much to 'put them in their places'. In the Mendacium mansion, Stella and Mabel could get away with blue murder. The girls looked exactly like their deceased Mother. Because of this, Mr Mendacium found it impossible to tell his girls off. "I'm only voicing what he thinks," Stella continued. "Only, Father has too much respect for Mr Gerard to say it out loud." Then, suddenly remembering herself, Stella gasped. "I'm sorry about what happened yesterday, Eva. It's my fault that Mr Gerard hit you. If I hadn't started a conversation with you-"

Bravely, Eva cut her off.

"No worries Miss Stella. Like you said, Mr Gerard deserves something bad. It'll come with time."

"You think?" Stella asked unsurely.

"Yes. I do."

At least they both hoped so.

No more than five minutes later, Eva was grabbing Stella's corset and dress for the day whilst the brunette brushed the suds away from her body. Her thoughts were running wild.

She couldn't help but think of the little knight in the basement of Mr Gerard's home. Stella had seen a brightness inside of him she hadn't seen in years. Her thoughts were running wild, wondering what they were doing there. Why were they being kept hidden?