Chapter three

New Orleans- 1820

Mabel's words from the day before bounced around in Stella's head as she crept her way down the stairs

Mabel's words from the day before bounced around in Stella's head as she crept her way down the stairs. To get to the library, she had to pass her Father's office. Unfortunately for her, her Father was in it. Normally, Stella didn't mind speaking to her Father. The pair got on like a house on fire. Only her Father was often preoccupied by Stella's lack of a husband. Mabel's words told her exactly what her next talk with him would be about.

"Stella!" She grimaced, knowing she'd been caught. The brunette couldn't walk softly to save her life. "I'd like a word with you please."

His office door swung open of its own accord- as if someone on the other side had just muttered a spell to open it. At the stairway, Stella raised an eyebrow. "Just one?"

Her Father rolled his eyes. "Sit down Stella." She did as told, begrudgingly making herself comfortable. Once he'd taken a seat at his desk across from her, he scrubbed a hand across his beard and sighed. "What do you plan to do?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

She knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Are you going to marry Emil?"

Mentally, she vomited.

"I can't see why I should. My feelings for Emil are platonic." She didn't like Emil much. Especially not after the connection she'd made. "Nothing else. Why would I marry someone I view as a brother?"

The night before, Stella had tossed and turned for hours on end before she'd gotten any sleep. Her mind had been working tirelessly until a conclusion was drawn. She knew that the little Knight and Emil were related. If anyone else had the fever, the Governor would've thrown them out immediately. Instead, he'd kept the little Knight and his Mother hidden downstairs. She knew they had to be related somehow.

"You're being difficult Stella."

"No I'm not. Mabel's older than me. She's not married. You don't have these conversations with her."

Yes, Stella never did find that fair.

"I don't have to worry about Mabel like I do you," He stated. "Mabel isn't against marriage. I need you to get married, Stella. You know that." In fact, Mabel had been engaged a handful of times now. Although, her suitors all seemed to die before the wedding. It was quite suspicious, really, yet no one would dare point a finger at the Mendacium.

"I'm not marrying anyone that I don't love. I'm sorry if that disappoints you."

No she wasn't. Almost everything she did was disappointing. "Lucky you," Mr Mendacium gave her a sarcastic smile. "Gerard's guests arrived early. They got here last night."

And she should care because?

"I don't understand how that makes me lucky."

"The Mikaelsons are a respectable family. You could easily marry one of them."