Chapter Sixteen

New Orleans- 1821

Through her tears, Stella shook her head in denial at the written plan that Elijah presented to her

Through her tears, Stella shook her head in denial at the written plan that Elijah presented to her. She knew that he was only trying to help. Still, she couldn't accept it. It wasn't right. She had to talk to the coven, but then she'd have to explain what had happened. Stella wasn't ready for that yet. "No, you can't do that." She pushed the parchment away, struggling to see it.

Niklaus sighed, appearing at the witch's side. He hadn't spoken much since they'd gotten back to the Plantation house. Seeing Stella so broken up about Mabel's death reminded him of his own brother's death, Henrik. He grabbed her hand, stopping her from doing further damage to the parchment. "Stella, you're going to have to let us help. You can't do this all by yourself."

She was going to burn herself out.

"No Niklaus." She pushed his hand away. "You don't understand. Mabel can't be buried outside of New Orleans." Merely saying it made her cry more. Mabel was supposed to die of old age after having a nice, long life. "It doesn't matter how nice the scenery is. She's got to be buried here before the twenty-four hours are up."

Elijah shook his head, failing to understand. How could they? They'd never been close to coven witches before. Whilst their mother had been a witch, Esther had never belonged to a coven. "You're not making any sense."

"The witches of New Orleans," She explained. "We practice ancestral magic. If we don't consecrate her body in New Orleans soil within the next twenty-four hours, we lose her magic forever and she doesn't go to the ancestral world."

The least she deserved was to go over to the ancestral world.

It was Mabel for heaven's sake. If she didn't get into that world, she'd be going straight to hell.

"Stella," Niklaus said her name again. This time, he said it firmly. "You need to calm down. You won't get anything done if you do it like this. I need you to calm down."

He held her hand once more, watching her eyes lose focus.

"No," She tried and failed to shake him off. "No, you don't- you don't understand."

Niklaus and Elijah shared a look. From the doorway, Rebekah sent a glare her younger brother's way before turning away. This was all his fault.

"Stella," Elijah grabbed her other hand. "You need time to mourn."

She shook her head back and forth, dark hairs flying out around her. "You don't understand-"

"Celeste and I will prepare the funeral. Celeste's a witch. She understands. You need to slow down and mourn."

"No-"

"I'll take her." The brothers glanced up at Kol who'd put on a brave face. Rebekah's shoulders tensed. She knew Kol was still up to something. He'd killed the girl's sister. What more could he want from her? She didn't understand how killing the witch's sister could possibly mean that he cared.