Chapter six

New Orleans- 1820

Outside of a cabin in the bayou, Stella tried her hardest to walk quietly

Outside of a cabin in the bayou, Stella tried her hardest to walk quietly. It was already a struggle for her. Adding the fact that the leaves were dried up and crumpled, the task was awfully close to impossible. However, impossibility didn't stop her from trying.

She had a problem playing out in her mind. She couldn't go to Eva for help. The only knowledge Eva had of the supernatural was whatever Stella had told her. That ruled Eva out of the question. She could ask Mabel for help but then she'd worked herself into a bit of a hole.

After leaving Kol's bedroom last night, she'd told Mabel that she'd been successful in killing him. Stella wasn't entirely sure about why she'd said it. It could be embarrassment. Mabel had killed plenty of people before without ever encountering a problem. Stella had tried once and failed. And yet, it could also be a sub-conscious act to protect her sister. It didn't matter what Kol Mikaelson was. There was one thing about hm that Stella was certain of. He was dangerous. The last thing she needed was to put her sister in the way of unnecessary danger.

"I know you're here Stella." She grimaced, already knowing why she'd been caught. Loitering around the entrance, she hoped the witch she'd came to see would shrug the sounds off. "You have the world's loudest footsteps." Nope. There was no chance of leaving. She'd have to come clean. "You might be a good liar, but you're a useless sneak. Just come in."

Against her better judgement, Stella obliged. She swallowed what little was left of her pride and entered the small cabin. Instantly, her nose was assaulted by the smell of exotic herbs and spices.

"Hello Celeste," Stella greeted through clenched teeth. She liked Celeste. What she didn't like was Celeste's intuition. At times, it could be terribly annoying. "You're as pleasant as ever."

The witch didn't look up from her grimoire when Stella entered. Yet another thing that got on the younger witch's nerves. "What can I help you with today, Stella?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You might be an excellent liar, but there's certain things you can't lie about." That was wrong. If she put her mind to it, Stella could lie about anything she wanted. It worked on everyone but that monster. He could hear her heartbeat. "I know you too well. If you needed normal help- perhaps with a spell- you'd have gone to see the elders. Instead, you came to me. Someone that isn't officially part of your coven. That also means I'm under no obligation to tell your elders about whatever you ask me. But you knew that anyway, didn't you? You're incredibly smart."

Naturally, Stella liked the compliments. She wasn't all too fond of the rest.

Sighing, Stella tried to seem flippant. "I might have a question or two." She came to a stop beside Celeste's spell book, her eyes quickly scanning the page. "What are you doing?"