Chapter Twelve

New Orleans- 1820

Stella's dress was a bit brave for a respectable ball

Stella's dress was a bit brave for a respectable ball. Her shoulders were fully exposed, something that was generally reserved for the people of her household only. To take some of the attention away from her skin, she'd added a huge necklace to her look, just to ensure that she remained on the safe side. From the corner of the witch's bedroom, Eva watched her carefully.

"Forgive me for saying this Miss... but are you sure you're not trying to impress someone? I overheard your sister speaking and..."

Stella cut her off, already knowing exactly where the conversation was headed. What her handmaid was about to suggest was completely ludicrous. "Honestly Eva, I'm not trying to impress anyone. Kol can go-"

"Nobody mentioned a Kol, Miss Stella." Eva couldn't stop the wicked grin from spreading across her face at the look that the woman wore. Stella looked utterly horrified, struggling to believe that the words had even come out of her mouth.

Surely she'd been possessed.

"What?"

"You bought Kol up yourself. I simply asked a question."

Turning back to the mirror, Stella cleared her throat, pointedly ignoring the intense red colour of her cheeks.

"I'm not trying to impress anyone," She explained. "Let's leave it at that."

Knowing better than to push it, Eva nodded.

"Your Father wants to speak to you, Miss Stella, before you leave."

"I already know what he's going to say."

"I think he wants a word with you anyway, Miss." They both knew what he was going to say. A ball would be the perfect opportunity for her to grab herself a husband. "You look beautiful though. I'm sure- if you did want to woo this Kol gentleman- which we both know you have no intention of doing- you'd blow him away."

The girls smiled at each other. Naturally, the first man that Stella had ever been interested in was a vampire. It was just her luck. She wasn't a lucky person. Danger seemed to follow her no matter where she went.

Kitted out in her ballgown, she headed down the stairs towards her Father's office. In there, Mabel was already waiting. They both knew where the conversation was headed. Mr Mendacium was about to give them a marriage speech. Of course, they both knew that Mabel wouldn't be getting married anytime soon. Her next suitor would die tragically just before the event.

"Father. I hear you want to speak to me."

The older man nodded.

"Have a seat Stella." She did as told, slipping into the space beside her older sister. Mabel squeezed the younger witch's hand in acknowledgement. "Since you're both on your way to the Mikaelson ball, I thought I should have a word with you and your sister first."