Chapter Seventeen

New Orleans- 1821

The Plantation house was full of people that afternoon when Stella arrived

The Plantation house was full of people that afternoon when Stella arrived. Unsurprisingly, the Governor was upstairs somewhere, passed out drunk. This was yet another lavish party he threw as if to show off his wealth. To say that Stella was not impressed was the understatement of the year. Really, she hadn't planned on coming. Still, it was a better option than staying at home.

Her home was a constant reminder of what used to be. Every morning she woke up, she woke up with the hope that it'd all been a nightmare. She woke up hoping her sister was about to come barging in.

"Stella." She didn't need to look to know who was calling for her. There was that usual cocky edge to his voice that gave him away. From behind, Kol dropped a hand to her waist. None of the party goers noticed. They were far too distracted by the drinks. "You look as ravishing as ever, darling."

"Yes, well. Excuse me."

She made to walk forwards as if they'd never crossed paths. It had become much harder to avoid Kol as of recent. After she'd cried into his arms, a bond of sorts had been formed between the two of them. Stella didn't understand it much. Still, she couldn't deny that it was there. In his presence, it was all that she could think about.

He frowned as she made to walk away. Quickly, he secured a hold on her hand and tugged her backwards.

"Hey, are you alright?"

"No. But I will be once I've drained this house's alcohol supply."

He frowned.

Stella wasn't the type for drinking. She claimed it made her brain too fuzzy for her to remain alert.

"Is this about Mabel?"

Merely saying her name made him feel guilty. He couldn't wait for the time in a few years to come where no one would mention the dead witch anymore. Then, those treacherous feelings would cease to exist and he wouldn't have to worry about the little witch learning his secret.

Stella scoffed, trying and failing to snatch her hand away. "My sister has been dead for an entire month. Why would this be about her?"

"Because it takes longer than a month to mourn someone you love."

"Just leave me alone."

He pulled her back again, dragging her in the direction of somewhere they could be in private. When he found a small library room, he pulled her inside and locked the door. Stella crossed her arms, taking a step away from him. At that, he rolled his eyes. "Picture it this way. Do you think my family would move on within a month of your death?" She frowned. "Do you think I'd move on within a month?"