Chapter seven

New Orleans- 1820

In the dark of the Plantation house basement, there was no such thing as time

In the dark of the Plantation house basement, there was no such thing as time. Stella had spent hours down there with her new friend, idly stitching a doll of sorts as he spoke to her. He told her about his dreams, his hopes- everything, until eventually, he couldn't speak anymore. Stella assumed he was quite lonely when she wasn't around. He had his Mother with him, but she wasn't doing much talking or listening these days. Her fever was getting worse.

Knowing that her friend could do with some company, Stella was more than happy to spend her day with him. He was a welcome distraction. After a while, she finished making her doll. With that, the pair moved onto a much more serious topic of discussion.

"She's not getting better Stella. At all. Your remedy made her feel better but she's not getting any better."

Stella sighed. She wished there were more that she could do to help. Unfortunately, she was useless. All they could do now was hope that the little knight's Mother came out on top. The chances of that happening were slim.

"I know, little knight, I know."

She didn't know how to comfort him. What she didn't know was that simply being there was the best thing for him. If his Mother died, he wouldn't have anyone left besides Stella. "I ain't never lived without her before. I don't know what I'll do."

Stella grabbed his hand, giving it one of those supportive squeezes.

"You'll keep living because you're a fighter and that's what fighters do." He smiled at her. Sometimes, she only said very small things. Whether she rehearsed a speech or made a mere passing comment, her input always seemed to help. In his mind, he still referred to Stella Mendacium as the angel. "They live and they survive," She continued. "I've bought something with me to take your mind off of..." She drifted off, not knowing how to say it.

They both knew what she meant anyway.

She wanted to take his mind off of his dying Mother for a while.

Saying no more, she reached out into her basket and pulled out a book. The little knight thought it was a book but he couldn't be sure. He'd never actually held one before. When Stella handed it to him, he stroked the front cover with interest.

"What's that?"

"I've got a book with me." She stated, pointing at it. Figuring, she wouldn't mind, he flipped the cover open. The pages didn't have all that much writing but there were plenty of illustrations. His eyes trailed across the words, wondering what they said. "I'm going to teach you to read. Writing's much easier if you've learnt to read first."