Chapter four

New Orleans-1820

When Stella arrived back at the mansion, her breathing was a total mess

When Stella arrived back at the mansion, her breathing was a total mess. She couldn't seem to get her breaths in nor out. Her cheeks had started to pinken from stress, her hair stuck to her sweaty forehead. She knew she was in big trouble.

Her stride didn't break until she saw one of the servants. She gave him the calmest smile she could manage, asking him to find her handmaid. The servant nodded, hurrying off into the dark depths of the mansion.

After that, Stella's feet carried her to the one place she hoped her sister would be. The library. When she entered, Mabel had her nose buried in an old grimoire. The older Mendacium didn't have to look up to know who had arrived. They were the only people that ever used the room. "How did your meeting with the Mikaelsons go?"

"I need your help."

Her words came out in a breathless pant, stunning Mabel into silence. She tugged her gaze up, taking in her little sister's brazen state.

"You're not hitched already, are you?"

It was a joke but Stella didn't even seem to hear it. Already, she was turning back to the door.

"Come with me to my room- now. You and Eva, no one else."

What on Earth was going on? Mabel gathered that it was important, Stella wasn't normally like this. Hesitancy settled in.

"Are you sure you want Eva there? I mean- she's not exactly..."

"I trust her with my life. Please Mabel, now."

Mabel nodded, swallowing back her complaints. "Alright. I'm coming."

By the time the two had reached Stella's room, her handmade came bursting through the door, equally flummoxed as Mabel. "I came as soon as I heard Miss Stella, do you have a problem?"

"Yes. It's a really big one."

She shut the door and locked it, her eyes wide and unfocused. For the first time ever, Mabel and Eva could relate to each other. They shared in their concern and confusion.

"Stella, what's going on?"

She dug her hands through her dark hair. "I left my journal in the bushes outside of Mr Gerard's plantation."

Neither of them understood. Stella had hoped her sister would catch on immediately, especially since she'd seen the contents of that book. Instead, she remained oblivious. Mabel shook her off flippantly as if it didn't even matter.