Chapter Thirteen

New Orleans-1820

Thankfully, Stella's attempts at evading a certain two people throughout the night was proving successful

Thankfully, Stella's attempts at evading a certain two people throughout the night was proving successful. At one point, she'd caught a glimpse of the Governor. Luckily for her, she saw him before he could see her. Each time this happened, she worked tirelessly to put as much distance for the two of them as she could.

Kol proved much easier for the most part. She hadn't seen him at all. With him being a vampire, she'd been banking on him being the harder party to avoid. Alas, her success came to an end eventually.

Grinning cheekily, he appeared beside her in the shadows. "Stella." He delighted in the shock that crossed her face. She hadn't seen or heard him coming, just as he'd anticipated.

"For goodness sake."

Immediately, she pushed away from the wall, hoping to lose him quickly. He pulled her back by her arm, thwarting her efforts before they could really get anywhere. When he turned her, Stella threw her hands up to his chest to steady herself.

He noted her scowl with a grin. "I see you're happy to see me."

Stella answered that with a huff.

"What do you want?"

He shrugged, brushing a stray strand of her hair back. "I just wanted to come say hello, darling. Why- don't you want me here?"

He paid close attention to her heartbeat.

"We both know the answer to that, don't we?"

There was no spike in her heart. She hadn't really given him an answer. To that, Kol rolled his eyes. His Stella was proving to be dreadfully stubborn. No wonder Niklaus liked her so much. It didn't seem to matter how much Kol asked his brother what had happened, Niklaus refused to share. Instead, he'd smirk and promise Kol he'd find out eventually. At one point, he'd mentioned something rather cryptic about blood.

"I just ran into your sister," Kol told the girl, remembering Mabel's face in his head. The older witch wasn't nearly as charismatic as Stella. In fact, she had a dark and unsettling air about her. Kol didn't trust her. "She looks like you, though she's not quite so... spirited?"

Stella smirked. "So I've heard." He leaned in towards her. She hastily moved back. "What do you want Kol? In case you hadn't realised, I'm busy right now."

"Busy doing what? Hiding?" He'd been watching her for a while. Ever since she'd disappeared up the stairs with his brother. He'd watched them carefully, looking for anything suspicious. There was nothing. Niklaus seemed as though he genuinely enjoyed the witch's presence.

"My Father wants me to..." She drifted off awkwardly.

"Your Father wants you to what?" His tone darkened.

Stella shrugged him off. "That's none of your concern."

He grabbed her wrist before she could saunter away. He used it to drag her closer. His eyes, of their own accord, found their way to her neck. He could see the veins in her neck pulsating. It awakened a dull throb in his teeth. "This is me making it my concern. Tell me what your Father wants."