Chapter Ten

New Orleans- 1820

The next day, Stella snuck into the Plantation house much like she would any day

The next day, Stella snuck into the Plantation house much like she would any day. She'd taken to carrying those two voodoo dolls in her pockets, just in case. However- thanks to Niklaus- she'd no longer have to worry about any of the vampires killing her. Niklaus had made it clear to his family that Stella Mendacium was not on the menu. They all seemed to listen to him.

Like she usually would, Stella checked to make sure no one was looking before she muttered a spell that hacked the lock. When the door was closed behind her, Stella recoiled in shock. All she could hear was a series of agonised screams.

Jumping back to life, Stella ran down the stairs until she reached the only room at the bottom. She thrust the door open, her body barrelling through. "Little Knight! What's wrong?"

With tears streaming down his face like waterfalls, the little boy looked up at her, distraught.

"She's dead!"

"What?"

"She won't wake up Miss."

"Oh my- oh my God."

Stretched out in the same place as usual, the little Knight's Mother lay motionless. Where her chest would normally lift up and down, it was still. Her body had gone cold, her spirit leaving.

"I don't know what to do."

Stella didn't either. She wasn't Mabel. She'd never seen a dead body before. "Right, well, uh- we'll think of something." She had to think fast. The longer the little Knight stared at his Mother, the worse the pain in her heart got. She remembered when she lost her own Mother. What had they done then?

"Why don't we give your Mother a funeral?"

"My... Father wouldn't allow that. Her... body would draw attention."

He'd confirmed what she'd originally assumed. The little Knight was the- presumably unwanted- other son of the Governor.

"I'm going to let you in on a little secret of mine, little knight- but you have to promise me a few things first. You can't tell anyone about what I tell you and you can't look at me any differently to what you normally would." The boy nodded. There wasn't a thing in the world Stella could do to make him judge her. With his Mother now gone, she was the only thing he had left. When she took a deep breath, he was ready. "I'm a witch."

"What?"

"I'll show you. I can cloak your Mother so that only us will be able to see her."

He couldn't say he'd been expecting that. "I don't- I don't- are you sure?"

"Positive."

He watched with wide eyes as she rolled her sleeves up. She muttered something quietly under her breath, lifting her hands above his Mother's corpse. When her body seemingly disappeared, his heart skipped a beat.