Chapter Nineteen

New Orleans- 1821

In the end, Kol didn't return that night to show his witch another side of him

In the end, Kol didn't return that night to show his witch another side of him. He wanted to. Alas, the world never seemed to work the way he wanted it to. He spent most of that night comforting his crying sister on the loss of her love as his brothers helped with the funeral preparations. Kol found it quite funny, really. The man that killed Emil Gerard was helping with his funeral.

The next time he got chance to see his witch was at the funeral. Garbed in a black dress, she walked behind the funeral carriage with her eyes on the ground. Kol walked beside her, wondering when the best time to talk to her was.

He'd left rather abruptly the night before after kissing her. He needed to figure out where the pair of them stood.

As they walked, Rebekah and Elijah trailed in front of them with Niklaus taking up the rear.

Bravely, Kol walked closer to the witch's side and linked their arms together. She raised an eyebrow at him before turning away.

He could understand how this might all be tough for her. It wasn't so long ago that her sister brutally died. To add to that pain, her childhood friend Emil had now died too.

He could see how that might be harsh.

As they were walking, a horse had stopped some way away with a young boy in front of it. The boy had his knees to the ground as he winced and screamed with every slash of the witch.

When Stella finally looked up, she was hit by a strong sense of terror.

That was her friend.

"No! Stop!" Seeing her readying to run, Kol lurched her backwards by his hold on her arm. Stella writhed in his hold. Peering over her shoulder, it didn't take the vampire long to recognise the boy. He'd been with Stella that day in the meadow when he'd caught her with that dead body. He wasn't surprised to find her in more trouble now.

After noting Stella's protests, the Mikaelsons ceased their walking.

Niklaus was one step ahead, eyes already taking in the scene with shock.

The boy received another whipping before he grabbed an apple, hurling it up at his abuser. The man on the horse groaned. When he readied to whip the boy again, he fell to the ground dead.

Threat averted, Kol let the witch go.

She hastened to catch up to Niklaus.

"What is your name?"

The little Knight stared up at Niklaus cautiously, wondering if this man intended to punish him further. When he spotted Stella over his shoulder, the little Knight relaxed some. He felt safe in her presence. He'd seen her magic. She wouldn't let this strange, curly haired man hurt him. "Don't got one. Mama wouldn't name me till I turned ten, 'case the fever took me... then it took her."