Chapter Fourteen

New Orleans- 1821

Niklaus stood in the big, open gallery of the plantation house with a paintbrush in hand

Niklaus stood in the big, open gallery of the plantation house with a paintbrush in hand. He'd found himself in a rare moment of peace, uninterrupted and undisturbed. He could hear everything in the house. Upstairs, his brother Elijah was messing around with the witch Celeste. That was one thing he disapproved of. In the room beneath him, his sister Rebekah was messing around with the Governor's son Emil. Yet another thing he disapproved of. And then there was Kol. Kol had been messing with his witch a whole lot more recently. Thankfully, the witch would not be conned.

As he brushed his brush across the canvas, he heard the soft creaking of a door opening. When he was hit by the smell of strange herbs and the aura of magic, he knew instantly who it was. "Ah, Stella," He greeted her without turning away. "I'm surprised you have the time to come see me anymore since you're always so busy now."

She snorted, depositing herself on the chaise lounge chair. Ever since one of the brothers had compelled the Governor to stay away from the witch, she'd been much more comfortable strutting her way through the plantation house whenever she pleased. For some reason, she spent most of her time in the kitchens and basement. No one bothered to question it.

"Oh please, you speak like a needy little puppy."

He pointed his paint brush at her. "It's hard not to when my favourite witch has been neglecting to see me. I've started talking to a painting of you. The painting has less attitude."

Stella smirked, making herself comfortable. "You know why I don't like coming here." Lies. It wasn't that she didn't like coming. It was the embarrassment she'd feel whenever her heart raced at the sight of a certain someone. "It's your needy little brother. I can feel his presence lingering in the room."

They both knew what was coming. In no more than ten minutes, Kol would either catch onto the girl's scent or her voice. As soon as that happened, the time for the friends to talk alone in silence would be over.

"Kol has rather taken to you." That was true, but he knew there was another reason she hadn't been around so often. "You've been up to something else though. I can see it on your face."

She nodded, pulling Esther's grimoire out of her basket. Stella had been the very first person outside of his family that he'd ever trusted to read it. "You're right. As your best- and possibly only- friend," He rolled his eyes. "I've taken it upon myself to help you out."

"Go on then. How has the wicked Stella Mendacium helped me out?"

She smirked, shrugging. "I know why you can't find Katerina Petrova."

His eyebrows shot up. He'd found a confidant in Stella Mendacium. He told her everything. From the details regarding his Mother's death to the secret of the sun and moon curse. Naturally, Stella had taken it upon herself to dig a little deeper. "Go on."