Chapter Eighteen

New Orleans- 1821

(This is the first chapter that includes an official flashback)

Side by side, Kol and Stella hurried up the stairs. Both of them wanted to see what was about to go down. From the strange tone of Rebekah's voice, they were both positively sure that something would be going down.

Kol subconsciously lingered behind the witch. With the speed she was running at added to the length of her dress, it would be way too easy for her to trip and die. He couldn't be having that.

When they arrived up the stairs, a problem was already starting. Niklaus sat with a dead girl either side of him, their bodies nigh empty of blood. At the doorway, Elijah stood with Celeste. When Rebekah entered with Emil, Kol thought if it best if he stayed close to Stella. It didn't take a genius to spot trouble coming. Whilst none of the Mikaelsons would bring harm to the lovely Stella, she had a knack for getting herself into trouble.

"Are we interrupting?" Rebekah asked upon entering.

"Yes," Niklaus called at the same time Elijah said no.

Kol and Stella followed close behind them. Immediately, Stella frowned at the mess her friend had made. She cared for Niklaus dearly, but that didn't excuse the kind of things that he did.

"Dearest Elijah," Rebekah began with a smile, the Governor's son close at her side. Stella had to admit she was glad for Rebekah's fascination when it came to Emil Gerard. A year ago, he'd been fully intent upon marrying her. "You've only ever wished happiness for me. Emil and I are in love. Please let me turn him."

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Niklaus began to chuckle.

Stella frowned, struggling to come to grips with what her friend was asking.

Did all vampires do that? Seek to force forever on the people they love? Subconsciously, she took a step away from Kol. Of course, he didn't fail to notice.

"Rebekah," Elijah began with a sigh. "The Governor has graciously agreed to hide a lot of our indiscretions. It would not do to turn his only son into one of us."

Stella's shoulders tensed. They didn't know about the little Knight. Only she knew. Not even Kol had managed to make the connection. They didn't know about the boy who deserved the world who'd hardly been given a thing. Stella was immensely proud of him. His reading and writing skills were improving with every passing day.

When Rebekah continued to plead, Stella shook the thoughts aside.

"Please. For me."

Niklaus rose from the carnage, a menacing smile on his face. "It's not gonna happen, sister.  If we turned every man you dropped your knickers for then human beings would cease to exist and we'd have no bloody food."