Chapter Twenty

New Orleans - 1821

Stella wandered aimlessly around the Plantation house that night, a million and one thoughts swirling around her head

Stella wandered aimlessly around the Plantation house that night, a million and one thoughts swirling around her head. She'd been given much to think about. Her mind- against her will- kept flickering back to a certain Mikaelson man and his strange promises for the future. She tried not to think about it. Alas, it was difficult to keep her mind clean.

Because of Kol, she now feared the concept of marriage. The chances were that Kol was right. She'd have to marry a man that would never love her. A man that would only keep her around to have children.

She wondered what it would be like if she took Kol up on his offer. What would it be like married to Kol? Could she possibly fall in love with him someday or would it be another loveless union? She didn't understand why he'd made the offer in the first place. He wasn't in the same position she was. There was no expectation for him to get married. He could do whatever he fancied. Stella could not. So why had he made the office?

"Stella," She whipped her head around, spotting the most artistic vampire in the house. He raised an eyebrow at her alert state. Common sense told him it obviously had something to do with his little brother. He'd been messing with the witch's head far too much as of recent. "Do you need someone to take you home soon?"

She shook her head, declining the offer. "No thanks Nik. I plan to stay the night. I want my little Knight to have a familiar face near by until he adjusts to living with you and your family."

Using her magic, she'd sent a small letter home explaining where she was so Eva wouldn't work herself into a panic.

She'd more than likely spend the night in Emil's old room.

"So you know him already."

Niklaus couldn't help his curiosity. The young Marcellus intrigued him. He hadn't expected him to be close to Stella already. Although, when he really thought about it, he wasn't particularly surprised.

Stella was difficult not to like.

"Yep, and we might be best friends Nik, but I'm warning you. If you hurt that kid, I will ruin your life. Understood?"

He chuckled.

Stella couldn't really hurt him. Of course, she hadn't figured that part out yet. Whilst she knew the family she often affiliated with were vampires, she was yet to realise that they were the original vampires. He wanted to see how long it would take for her to work it out.

"I won't hurt him, Stella."

He meant it.

Stella's eyes boggled. "Uh oh, you're musing. Tell me what you're thinking about."

He frowned. Niklaus wasn't ready to talk about it yet, but he knew there'd be no escaping the witch's clutches if he didn't give her something.

"I see myself in the boy."