22.

Mrs Jeon took a seat beside him, placing her small handbag on her lap as she took a deep breath. Jungkook fidgets in the seat, worried and anxious at the turn of events. How fucked up is this destiny?! He was happy – no, ecstatic! – when he heard Lisa's name and now...

He saw his mother's fingers on his hand and he looks up. His mother's post-teary eyes and pink nose and cheeks made him feel worse, but he needed to know.

"Lalisa Manoban. You knew her as well, didn't you?" He heard her small gasp, and he can't help but let out a chuckle, slightly shaking his head. Unbelievable! "Please mom...tell me the truth. I need to know,"

...

Your father was never quite the same man after the accident. It was a shock to him...but I know that he feels guilty. Everyone was looking at him like he's a killer...except for the victim's daughter. She was so soft...but so strong as well. She was calming your father when in fact – she should be the one who's supposed to receive it. Her mother – her only family just died and she had to selflessly hold onto him. She kept muttering 'it's not your fault – it's not your fault' to him...even when she couldn't speak a single Korean...that's what Hyun told us. He was in shock too – but he wasn't as badly traumatised as your father. We never blamed him as well – he was simply in panic and following your father's orders.

I couldn't help but feel at fault as well. I already felt the chest pain that evening. I should've just rest at the hotel but instead, I went to walk around the shopping mall to rid of the boredom. If I had just stayed put, it probably wouldn't have happened.

He brought her to see me that night...after she identified her mother. Can you imagine the things she had went through in one night? I couldn't imagine it...even if you give me a lifetime – I probably couldn't have done what she did. Not only did she had to accept her mother's unexpected death...she had to assure your dad that it wasn't his fault...and when she came with him to see me – the doctor mentioned that I was already in the waiting list in Korea, so they can't do anything much except to stabilise me.

They explained to her in their language – your father told me. We didn't know exactly what they were talking about – but after that, the doctor made a call to my doctor here – saying that they found a donor – perfect for me – same age as me, with a healthier heart. So they transferred me back immediately, along with the new heart. Your father saw her signing the papers...it broke his heart even more. Not only did he owed her her mother's life, she also gave her mother's heart.

That's why your dad stayed there while I was transported back here. He couldn't leave her. He didn't know much Thai, but he tried his best. He went to her house alone, not wanting anyone to accompany him. It's something that he has to do by himself...I think it makes him feel grounded...small even. Not a single cent could buy what she had given to both of us. Her love for her mother had no boundaries, yes – but her love towards a stranger...the kindness...the empathy she has for us when she has nothing and we have pretty much everything money can buy...it opened our eyes and made us feel so much poorer than her.

She never asked for anything in return. He wanted to pay for anything she wants, but she didn't want anything. I think at one point she grew tired of your father's constant visits – that man refused to give up! – so she agreed to come here. We knew she just wanted him to go back home and to me. She came once to visit me – I was still unconscious from the surgery – and your father said she had placed a hand on my chest...and she cried...she cried so hard – just sat there, with her hand on my heart. I felt so bad when he told me that. I owed my life to her and she doesn't have anyone.

When I woke up a few days after, your dad told me everything. He broke down again – and he kept saying he's a killer. The doctors had no choice but to put him on close watch – asking him to see a trauma therapist. But you know, he has his name and reputation to protect and at that point, no one knew about the accident. I asked one of the doctors to call Lalisa in, and she calmed him down again. So after that, we both decided to keep her safe here. She's the only person who could help him overcome the trauma. She's the only one who could assure him that it wasn't his fault. He listens to her. And I owe her.