Chapter 12- An Agreement

Cassian woke up before Nesta did. The sun streamed into the room like a banner, welcoming the day. 

At some point during the night they had switched positions, Nesta's back now against his chest. His forehead pressed against the back of her neck,  his face buried in her hair. His arms were around her, one circling her waist and the other lay under her head acting as her pillow. Though that arm was asleep, pulsing as his circulation tried to push past the weight of Nesta's head,  he didn't have any intention of moving it. 

Because Nesta had her hand in his, arms connected as they stretched before them on the bed.

Cassian breathed her in. Breathed in the moment. He had slept so soundly, not a single dream. Just a dead heavy sleep, and waking up with Nesta still here...

This was how it should be. This was how their life should have gone- how it still could go. 

The bond was golden like the morning, lazily thrumming with that shared energy and power and a simplicity that he hadn't felt before. 

He felt his arm rise on her waist with every breath. He felt that breath caress his arm. 

Cassian's mind was so clear. So serene.

He smiled in her hair, placing a small kiss on the back of her neck. Then another.

He knew the second she woke  up she would be pissy and crude and 'hate' him again. It would hurt. Probably more then it usually did. 

Today would be challenging. The day ahead would be filled with insults flung toward her, men of a species she despised spitting words at her. It would be filled with anger and pain down that bond, going both ways. He would have to go through it all and not say a word, even when his heart screamed at wanting to defend her. He would have to feel that pain she tried so hard to hide, and then he would have to face the reality that she was going to retreat to her single tent sad, beaten down, and alone. 

But for now, she was still asleep, and he could pretend that the reality wasn't going to happen. He could pretend that they were asleep in their own bed, in their own house, and when she woke up she would roll over and kiss him good morning. 

Cassian closed his eyes, pulled Nesta tighter, and simply rested there. He kissed the back of her neck once more, letting his lips linger there, living in the moment of peace and bliss. 

And then Nesta shifted, drawing a harsh breath, kicking her legs and flailing in the sheets.

Nesta began to wail, as if someone had ran her through with a hot fire poker. 

________________________________________________________________________________

DELICIOUS 

PLEASE STOP, JUST FUCKING STOP

YOU HAVE TAKEN FROM ME 

I'M BEGGING YOU

SO I WILL TAKE FROM YOU 

I WILL DO ANYTHING

ANYTHING

IT  IS TO LATE NOW. IT IS DONE.

YOU MAY HAVE DEATH, SPITFIRE. BUT I HAVE HIM. 

"Nesta!" 

Her eyes flew open, only to find two pools of honey and chocolate above her. She struggled, she needed up and out and away-

 A warm hand on her cheek. A caress down something deep inside of her.

Her vision focused. She was in his room. She was safe.