Chapter 22- Back to the Sun

Iona's little legs pumped as hard as they could. The toddler huffed and puffed as she ran toward the edge. 

Just like her father had told her, she opened her wings, letting them catch the air as she ran. 

Her feet fumbled at the unanticipated drag, only setting her back a second before she adjusted and picked up the pace.

"That's it, wildflower, keep runnin'!" Her father called to her from where he was flying just off the ledge ready to catch her. 

"I'm comin', popop!" Iona smiled wide, feeling the wind whip through the gap where she had lost her two front teeth just the other day. 

She took three more hard steps, leapt off the edge, and pumped her wings. 

And then, Iona was flying. 

_________________________________________________

"Grab that gauze." 

"Soaked?" 

"In the salt water, yes."

Cassian had barely been able to get Iona to the healers. The small area carved into the mountian was furious with activity. 

Iona was on a table in the center, face down as they worked in her wings. More then once they had to flip her over and do chest compressions. The blood was everywhere. She still hadn't gained conciousness. 

Verra said that was a good thing for all the pain she would be feeling. 

Cassian handed the gauze to Verra, who didn't even look up at him as they set to work wrapping it around an elongated bony mass. 

They had to clean every tendon and bone. When it was all said and done, Iona would only have black flesh over the bones, no where else. No membrane, no tendons were salvagable. In many places, the white of the bone was visible.

Wings of a skeleton. 

Cassian knelt in front of Iona, still passed out on the table.

He kissed the top of her head and held her hand as the healers continued.

____________________________________________________________________________

And then, Iona was falling. The drop sent her gut to her throat, sent the blood rushing to her head- still, she didn't cry out. 

She knew her father was right there to catch her, so she wasn't scared. 

As she felt the arms wrap around her and gently fly back to the earth, Iona crossed her arms and pouted. 

Her father landed on the ground softly, just before the edge of the plateau. This was their spot. This was where they went to fly. 

Iona scooted to the edge and dangled her chubby legs off, resting her elbows on her thighs and holding her chin with her hands. 

 "Oh, Iona." Her father said down beside her. 

"What am I doing wrong, popop? I'm runnin' as hard as I can!" She huffed as she leaned against him. 

He smiled, kind and gentle, and kissed the top of her head as he brought his massive wings around her tiny shoulders. 

"It's not about the run, wildflower. It's about the jump." He grabbed her little hand. 

"Tell me the story again?" Iona asked, looking up at him. 

He laughed, deep and loud. "You want to hear that every day, little one."