Chapter 30- Aftermath

Camp was bustling when Nesta returned. 

News had broke by now, and as she strode through camp, she could see a throng of males crowded around and in the tavern. No one noticed her presence as she passed, to riled up to notice a simple cloaked female. 

The females, though, took notice of her. Mothers outside of thier cabins with thier children stared her down as if they could see through her. Young women went out of thier way to avoid her as she walked. But something had shifted here in Windhaven. When the females acted this way to her when she first arrived, it was out of fear and hatred. An outisder they had to avoid and punish for her presence. 

Now, it was out of observence. As if Nesta were some sort of expermient and they wanted to see what would happen. 

Now, they were not scared of her. They were lying in wait. 

Which meant when the time came, they would be ready. 

Nesta smiled to herself as she continued walking. 

Without warning, someone rammed into her shoulder, practically knocking her to the ground. 

"Oh, shit, I-" 

Cassian stopped as soon as his eyes of choclate and honey met hers. Nesta's breath caught in her throat. 

Milliseconds. That's all she had to remember the nigth before, before the blood, before Rosie, before everything. 

Suddenly she was there, standing with her head on his chest as he hummed softly and swayed back and forth. His fingers stroking gently up and down her spine. His heartbeat a calm quiet song, stealing her from everything beyond the door. 

His shirt had been soft against her cheek. 

"Nesta, where were you last night?" 

Cassian was infront of her, his hand on her arm. 

He was so beautiful. The beauty of glowing embers, or the beauty of the dusk. 

"Nesta." Cassian shook her gently. 

"I was with Sera and Rosie, like I told you." That was not a lie. 

The Illyrian scanned her face, something urgent and roaring in his mind turning to something worried and deathly quiet. 

Cassian's calloused hand cupped her face. Nesta closed her eyes and took a breath, memorizing the feeling of that warmth on her skin. 

"Nes, are you alright?" He set the bag he was holding down and put his other hand on her cheek as well. 

She nodded. "I heard about what happened." Her throat was dry as she spoke.

Cassian's eyes went dark. "Whatever monster did this will never lay a finger on you." 

Monster. Monster

What did it mean to be a monster? A monster to one is a savior to another. Nesta had met plenty of monsters the night before. Those men were monsters. 

But maybe to kill a monster, you had to become one.

 "I swear it." Cassian continued. "I will keep you safe."

Nesta could only nod. She wanted to bring her hand up to his, to feel his skin beneath her fingers. 

But she was unclean. 

She was a monster

Cassian pulled her in, arms wrapping around her like a coccoon. He smelt like a forest fire, roasting pine and the flicker of flame.