Chapter 17-Ripple

Nesta did not come down until after dark, just in time for dinner.

In the small side room Henery used as a dining room, the circular table only had four seats.

Poor Iona was smashed in the back corner, holding the small bowl of soup as delicately as a baby bird in her hands. Sitting on the floor, she was still able to look over the table. Cassian and Az sat on either side of her, and next to them in the two rocking chairs brought in from the living room sat Verra and Lori. Jaida took the final seat nearest the door, legs folded under her on the chair she sat on, the chair that was too small for Iona.

Henery apologized profusely as he clambered onto the lazy susan in the middle of the table with the entire pot of soup in his lap, spinning around and refilling bowls he saw even the slightest bit empty.

They were trying to convince the old man to get off the table when light footsteps thumped through the house.

Cassian snapped his head to the doorway into the tiny dining room, where Nesta stood, arms crossed.

She seemed alive with a new fire, and though it was only expressed in her arched brow and crossed arms, he was glad to see any sign of it.

Until the sting of wine caught his nose. She was drunk.

She had changed into a dark red tunic and black pants, her hair braided into a bun. Put herself together. Pretended. He was so sick of watching her pretend.

Jaida smiled, standing from her seat. "Here, I'll go get you a bowl."

Nesta held out a hand to the female though, making Jaida sit back down. "Tell me where they are, I'll get my own."

Finishing pouring Iona another serving, Henery spun around to face Nesta.

"Out this door to your left, you'll see the kitchen. Closest cabniet to the sink, top shelf."

Nesta nodded, exiting the dining room.

Cassian followed her with his eyes as his brother said, "We need to at least tell her the plan. She deserves to know what she's being set up for."

Lori remarked, under her breath, "What she's being used for."

Az looked, slow and deliberately, to his shadow. "I've told you, if you have better ideas I'm more then happy to listen."

Lori looked all to happy to retort, "You know my idea Azri-"

"Absolutely out of the question, and we're not talking about it again." The shadowswinger snapped, out of character for him.

Saving them all a tense silence, Nesta stalked back into the room, holding out her bowl to Henery. He gleefully filled it to the brim, his wooden ladel clanking as he scooped the warm soup.

Before he could offer her his seat, Cassian watched as Nesta leaned against the door frame, sipping her soup in small spoon fills.

Az looked at Jaida, who spoke first. "Nesta, dove, there is a reason we've brought you here."

Nesta was mid spoonful, her lips just resting on the silver. Cassian looked away.

Her spoon plooped back down into the bowl, eyes locked on Jaida.

The woman in white continued. "We are hoping your presence here at Windhaven- along with allowing you time and space you need- can also help the Illyrian females as well."

Jaida looked to the other females around the table. "Would you be willing to hear us out?"

Nesta's brows pushed together, and she set her bowl on the table. Cassian noticed she hadn't really been taking sips, as the bowl was still just as full as when Henery had filled it.