Chapter 41-Preminition

Feyre stood on the cliff stop, the emptiness before her vast and infinite. She did not remember how she got there, nor did she remember why. As she watched two beings emerge before her, though, it did not matter.
They were not there for her. In fact, they were so far away, she could barely make them out. No, this was not for her. She was an observer, the only member of the audience.
She did not know how, but Feyre knew both of them. Loved both of them. They were silent as they approached one another, their presence radiating power.
One was a form of pure darkness, whisps of shadow and night dancing off the human like form. He was calm, like the stillness of a lonely midnight. He waited for the other to make a move.
The other, pure white, was a thing of fire. Her very soul was aflame, and Feyre could feel the heat even from where she sat. This being was rage itself, the insanity pouring off her just as those flames licked the air.
Slowly, the being of flame reached a hand toward the being of night. Not a threat, but not a request either.
The being of night looked to Feyre.
She did not know why, but Feyre nodded, granting him permission.
And the second the night's hand touched the hand of the flame, Feyre woke up.
_____________________________________________________________

Cassian had been watching them for about three minutes before either of them realized he was awake.
He watched as Nesta wrapped Rhys's hand, and watched as Rhys wrapped Nesta's. Both of their palms were bleeding.
He watched Rhys help Nesta to her feet. At that he had to blink a few times.
Nesta had just accepted help from Rhys. Nesta Archeron. Accepting help. From Rhysand.
He almost laughed to himself, thinking how he may have been dead.
Then Rhys pulled Nesta in for a hug. And she accepted, wrapping her own arms around him.
Cassian was sure he was dead.
Rhys said something to her, Nesta responding and nodding. When they parted, Rhys looked down to Cassian, and finally noticed his eyes open.
He could see his name formed on his brother's lips, but couldn't hear it. Nesta dropped to her knees next to him, also saying his name.
Nesta turned to Rhys and said something that had him nodding and rushing away.
Nesta's eyes followed Rhys about the room as he left, then landed back onto Cassian's.
Her hands were warm on his cheeks, and he closed his eyes and leaned into her touch. He heard a snapping sound from the distance, and Nesta removed her hand from his cheek to shake his shoulders.
As he breathed out, Cassian tried to speak. "Put your hands back on my cheeks."
He heard more clearly then, Nesta say, "Then you need to open your eyes for me, Cassian."
Cassian obliged, his eyes opening to see her steely ones locked onto his. Only then did Nesta grant him a gentle hand on his cheek.
He smiled.
And Nesta smiled back at him.
_____________________________________________

Verra had just finished a second round of healing on Feyre when Rhys ran through the door, breathless and disheveled.
"Verra! I need y-"
Verra whipped around from Feyre toward the door where Rhys stood. Vigorously signaling with their hands to be quiet, the healer spoke, "She has not slept this well in week and if you are the reason she wakes up-"
Rhys interrupted, careful to keep his voice down with an eye on his sleeping mate.
"Cassian was-"
From the other side of the bed, Az perked up, his eyes dark and daunting. "What happened to Cassian?"
"I-" He paused, considering his options carefully. "I will breif you when I get back, but right now I need you to stay with Feyre."
"Rhys,-"
"That is an order." Rhys whisper shouted to Az, who took a moment to stare him down, then slowly sat back in his chair beside the bed.
Az stared at Feyre, and Rhys nodded to Verra.
"Let's go."
________________________________________________

Nesta's breathing had finally begun to slow as Verra came through the door.
"Nesta?" They said, right down to business and sitting down by Nesta before Cassian.
"Stab would to the abdomen with an enchanted weapon. Cleaned and partially healed, but I didn't trust myself to stitch it up the rest of the way." Not the whole truth. Nesta didn't think anyone would know the whole truth of what had happened besides Rhys and herself.
"Alright, let me take a look." Verra gently nudged Nesta over, and she tried to let go of Cassian's had to give Verra room. Cassian, however, gripped her hand tighter as she tried to let go.
"Cassian, Verra is going to take a look at you, I'm still right here." Nesta spoke softly. "Rhys is here, too."
He groaned as Verra lifted the rough bandage to get a look at the wound. Nesta looked to Rhys, who was sitting on the chair next to the couch.
"Nesta, this is healed." Verra spoke, the confusion in their voice palpable.
"What?" Rhys and Nesta spoke at the same time.
Verra shook their head as they felt around Cassian's abdomen. "This wound is healed, and there is no sign of internal damage either." Their hands paused over the now healed scar. "Cassian, let me know if or when this hurts, okay?"
Cassian was staring at Nesta, but grunted in agreement.
The healer gently pressed their hands into the scar at various points, checking for pain or any sign of improper healing. Cassian was silent the whole time.
Nesta shook her head, creasing her brows. "That doesn't hurt at all?"
Cassian shook his head, a smile spreading on his face. "It tickles a little."
"Cassian, you were stabbed." Rhys said, trying to bring his brother to reality.
But Verra shook their head, dismissing Rhys's seriousness. "And yet, he seems to be fully recovered."
Nesta could not take her eyes off Cassian.
He had been practically dead moments earlier. He had been dead moments earlier. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked to Verra.
"Whatever you did, Nesta, it worked." They smiled, squeezing her shoulder. "I can tell you're still worried."
Rhys was staring out the window shaking his head.
"I can tell you are, too, Rhysand." Verra stood, looking to the High Lord.
Cassian looked away from Nesta, offering Verra a big smile. "I'm not!" He said, pulling his shirt down and attempting to sit up.
Rhys and Nesta jumped on him, pushing his shoulders down and supporting his weight as they babied him back down against the couch. Verra laughed, a joyous sound that sang through the cottage.
"Okay, okay, fine. Cassian, bedrest for three days. Nesta, you have to watch over him or he'll get an infection and likely die."
Nesta paled, turning to Verra. "I- oh." Nesta turned to see the smirk on Rhys's face. "Oh, you are both cruel."
Rhys stood, using Cassian's head as support as he ruffled his hair. "At least I didn't stab him."
"That is so uncalled for and still very ripe, thank you very much." Nesta stared up to the high lord, her eyes sharp but playful.
"Wait, you stabbed him?" Verra asked, but Rhys was quick to jump in.
"Metaphorically, with her painful rejections of his advances."
Nesta shook her head. "He thinks he's on a roll."
"He is." Cassian said, laughing as Rhys ruffled his hair again.
Verra shook their head. "I'm very confused."
Rhys laughed, motioning to the door. "I'll walk you back, Verra. Thank you for coming."
Nesta stood, Cassian still refusing to let go of her hand. "Rhys?"
"Yes?"
She took a deep breath. "Can you say 'hi' to her? From me?" Nesta pondered for a moment, then continued. "And ask if I could visit soon?"
Rhys smiled. He smiled for his sister-in-law, smiled for his brother who they had saved, smiled for how happy Feyre would be to hear from Nesta.
"I will." He nodded and smiled again as he ducked out the door after Verra.
_____________________________________________________________