Chapter 38- Ready to Run

Hey guys. I'm so sorry this update took so long, this one was just a bit more difficult for me to write. I hope you all enjoy!!

Kiam and Maria were silent as they approached the edge of Windhaven. They had been silent the whole walk, never complaining and keeping pace as Nesta led them through the woods. Nesta kept her magic on the cloak, keeping the girls warm. 

"This is as far as I go." Nesta spoke, the three of them stopping just off the tents, the warm fires glowing like lanterns from the distance. 

Kiam nodded, looking to Maria in some kind of comfort. 

"Are you both going to be safe going back to your families?" Nesta placed her hand on the silver of the Witches Blade, feeling the cold metal warm to her touch. 

Maria shook her head. "No. I-" She huffed, a deep breath in. "No, I won't be." 

"Okay." Nesta watched Maria's face fall, even in the darkness. "I can bring you somewhere safe, Maria."

The girl nodded. Nesta only then noticed the ginger locks on her head, matted and frizzy from the events of the evening.  

"Kiam?" 

She nodded. "I'll be safe with my family." 

Kiam's hair was black, braided back in rows on her head. 

Nesta wondered why she was only noticed details about the girls now, instead of when she had first seen them. 

"I can get there myself from here. You take Maria." Kiam's voice was smooth, calming Nesta's bones, waking her up. 

"You let me know if you need anything, Kiam." Nesta's voice was forigen in her own ears. 

Kiam nodded. "Where do I find you?" 

Nesta thought for a moment. She didn't know. 

Sighing, Nesta spoke. "Find Cassian, the General, and he will help you find me." 

Again, the girl nodded. She looked to Maria, shared a moment, then slipped out from under the cloak and into the snowy night. Nesta prayed to the Mother that she would make it back to her family safe. 

But if Kiam said she could handle herself, Nesta wouldn't doubt her. 

"Her family is very kind. She'll be alright, you don't have to worry about her." Maria spoke softly. 

Nesta turned to the redhead, now completely wrapping herself in the cloak. 

"You know her, then? Her family?" Nesta asked, beginning to walk along the tree line. 

Maria followed as she spoke. "Kiam and I work with Emerie in her shop. We've spent a lot of time together, the three of us." 

They crept from the tree line to the nearest tent, wandering through the tarps and ghosts of campfires long since ashen. Nesta listened, noting how the girl stepped in Nesta's footprints as they walked. 

"We walk down the same path to get back home. Her little brother always waits for her on the front stoop." 

Her foot caught on something underneath the snow, but she only staggered a bit before catching back up to Nesta. 

"Her father once invited me in for soup last winter during a blizzard when I couldn't make it all the way back to my house. It was delicious." 

Nesta continued weaving through the tents, slowing her pace a bit for Maria.She stopped, crouching down next to a tent blocking them from the wind and snow. She didn't know why she said it, but Nesta spoke anyway as Maria crouched next to her.