Chapter 14- Home

Jaida knew Nesta Archeron would be difficult to handle. Though what little information Devlon had given her about the girl was all negative, she hadn't seemed so evil when they had first met. 

She felt Cassians presence behind her as she led the so-called witch through the camp. While she explained the important things- training locations, the small library, the marketplace- Jaida could tell she wasn't listening. Her eyes were wide and sharp, like that of a cornered animal. She moved with a cautiousness and withdrawal that Jaida had rarely seen before. Nesta seemed like the kind of person who prided herself on seeming unreadable, but if you knew the language she truly was just an open book. 

And Jaida had more practice then most at learning someone's language. 

For example, Nesta's high chin and even higher arched brow was supposed to tell the world to stay away and not to mess with her. However, Jaida knew that it truly was a front with the purpose of giving herself the distance to aquatint herself with her new environment. If she played the part of the evil witch everyone thought she was, it would give her time away from people to wrap her mind around this drastic life change. 

The steady crunching of boots on the gravel path behind them, though, told Jaida that Nesta would not truly be alone while she was here. 

Jaida took pride in her 500 years of helping others. She had seen many a wedding, many mated pairs in that time. 

Cassian and Nesta, however? That may be the most tragic love Jaida had seen in all that time. 

It was not unnoticed, his care and attention to her and her schedule in the meeting. Nor was the glow in his eye unnoticed as she had introduced herself to Nesta. Yes, this romance would turn out to be a special one. 

Jaida, for one, could not wait. 

They were walking through the marketplace in the main square, stopping at what few stands that hadn't fled at the sight of Nesta, when there was a shouting in the small tavern at the end of the walkway. 

Cassian huffed a laugh behind them. Jaida turned and shared a knowing smile with the male. 

Nesta didn't miss a beat. 

"What's going-"

The doors flew open, and the familiar sight of bouncing blonde curls and a red angry face practically flew out the doors, shouting obscenities as she went. Rosie.

"NO, you tell that rat bastard if he cheats again I'll cut his balls off with his own sword!" 

Another female, long dark brown braid flowing behind her as she rushed out, grabbed Rosie's arm and continued walking, pulling the female away from the tavern and the roar of laughter inside it. Sera.

Still, Rosie continued, "NOT THAT HE HAD ANY BALLS TO BEGIN WITH!" before the doors of the tavern slammed shut. 

Cassian stepped past Jaida and Nesta- putting his hands on Nesta's shoulders as he stepped by her- walking toward the two females now bickering about whatever had just occurred.

Though she said nothing, Jaida could practically hear the question in Nesta's head. So, she answered. 

"The small angry blonde is Rosa, she goes by Rosie." Nesta turned toward Jaida, eyes still on the three ahead of them, Cassian having joined in the bickering. Jaida continued to explain as she watched Cassian throw his arms up in exasperation. 

"Rosie is one of several promising warriors in the Generals' training regiment. She is..." Jaida sighed. "She is quite hotheaded. Maybe that's why she's a good fighter."