Chapter 24- Fire and Rain

Something settled inside of Nesta at the sight of Iona laying face down in the cot in the center of the room. 

Even in the dim lighting, a stark contrast from the sunlight outside, Nesta could make out the form of the females wings. 

Or what was left of them. 

They truly were the wings of a skeleton. With the white gauze wrapped around them, the sharp angles and smooth curves were indistinguishable from bone. They draped down the side of the cot, Iona having no control of them as they healed. 

Iona lifted her head and twisted to look at who had entered. Her face was pale, her hair damp, but somehow she still had a sparke in her eyes. 

She even smiled weaky as she met Nesta's gaze. "Hey, witch." 

Nesta gave a small smile in return. "Hi, Iona." 

Cassian stepped in and closed the door behind him, the candles in the room the only source of light. Iona gasped a bit at seeing him, and struggled from her position on her back to somehow sit up. She hissed with each movement and Nesta rushed to Iona as her elbow gave out. Nesta caught her weight and eased her chest back down to the table with a soft, "Hey, relax, it's okay." 

Cassian was there crouching beside the table, eyes to eye with Iona as she settled back down. 

"General, I don't know how to th-" She started, but Cassian gentle hand over Iona's. 

"You would have done the same for me. Or Sera, or Rosie, or any one of us." Nesta's heart warmed at the smile he gave her. "No thanks are in order, soldier." 

Iona smiled as bright as she ever had as she moved her hand to her forehead in a sort of salute. Cassian returned the gesture. 

It was the most tragically beautiful thing Nesta had ever seen. A tear fell down Cassian's cheek as he put his hand down, Iona doing the same. 

Iona turned her head to look at Nesta. Nesta offered a small smile, but smiling was really a new thing for her so she wasn't sure if it was kind or cruel. 

Either way, Iona said to Cassian, "You brought me to her." 

He chuckled, rubbing his chin again. "Yeah, are you two going to have girl time now?"

Nesta had half a mind to tug him out by his ear, but Iona responded, "Actually yes."

Both Cassian and Nesta looked to Iona. Nesta had never had girl time in her life. She wasn't even really sure what girl time was. 

"So you need to go now." Iona said, pressing a finger to Cassians chest and pushing him away from the table. 

"Are you serious?" He said, standing so he didn't lose his balance. 

Iona, now Nesta's new favorite person, brought her arm around Nesta's shoulders and tugged her to the end of the table and started talking into her ear. 

"So, when I was passed out, I had this dream about one of the officers and he-" 

Cassian covered his ears as he started walking toward the door. "Nope. I'm leaving." 

Nesta laughed as he shut the door behind him. Iona untangled her arm from around Nesta, chucking to herself. 

Nesta kneeled on the floor infront of the cot, resting her elbows on the edge to look at Iona. 

"We can talk about these officers you're dreaming about if you want, but you have to know I'm not very good at boy talk." She said as Iona lay her hands under her chin.