t w e n t y

i walked into the vet's, looking to speak to scott. but, when things were unusually quiet, i snuck up to the exam room. i saw derek holding deaton up with a chair.

"what are you doing?" i exclaimed, rushing over to derek's side. 

"talia, get out of here!" deaton responded, turning to me. i could see a large gash on his cheek. he was hurt. derek dropped the chair and knocked him unconscious. i pushed derek away and looked to see deaton sitting limp.

"stop! stop!" i continued trying to push derek away, but he was much stronger than me. 

"look, when he's conscious, he can keep himself from healing. but unconscious, he can't!" derek explained, trying to justify beating scott's boss. i became fearful. before i could ask more, scott came rushing in. 

"what the hell is going on?" he asked, looking to tend to his boss' wounds. 

"where have you been!" i asked, still trying to keep my focus on derek. 

"are you out of your mind? what are you doing?" scott asked, completely ignoring not only my question, but my presence. 

"you wanna know what the spiral means, scott? it's our sign for a vendetta, for revenge! it means he won't stop killing until he's satisfied!" derek informed him, anger and frustration in his voice. the spiral! the one that was on my window. whoever it was must have thought scott was in the area.

"you think he's the alpha?" scott asked, frustrated, but also confused. how could deaton, a sweet, fun loving, man, be the monster carrying out the attacks across our town. 

"we're about to find out." derek stated, going to attack the unconscious man. but, before he could strike, scott clasped his wrist, claws out and fully turned. he snarled at derek. 

seeing my best friend like this was truly terrifying. knowing that he could kill anyone of us if he felt the urge to do so. i didn't want him to hurt me, or derek for that matter. when i saw derek backing away, i did the same. instinctively, derek pushed me behind him, to protect me. he was thinking the same thing i was, scott couldn't control himself yet, which meant we were all in danger. 

"hit him again, and then you'll see me get angry."

when scott told derek to leave, i wanted to go too. mainly because i was scared to be in a room, basically alone, with him. scott was an uncontrollable werewolf, that shit is scary. i jogged after derek, and stopped his car as it began to drive away.

"can i join you?" i asked, eager to not have to make the walk home. 

derek inhaled and exhaled with great exaggeration, before nodding and telling me to get in. i slid onto the passenger seat, and slammed the door shut. as he drove away from the vet, derek turned the radio up slightly. the song grenade by bruno mars played quietly. seeing as i loved this song, i turned the volume up higher, and found myself humming along. humming turned into quiet mumbling, which turned into me confidently singing. my over confidence caused derek to chuckle, and even hum along with me. i had never seen this side of him. granted, we had only met a handful of times. i was just made to believe he was this serious guy who had never even laugh. although, if i had gone through what he had gone through, you wouldn't catch me smiling much either. he pulled up to a gas station, the very same gas station that we had officially met at. i wasn't sure why we were here, so i asked.

"what are we doing here? are you meeting one of your fellow wolves? or... are you gonna have another stand off-"

"talia, i need gas." he stopped me, and then pointed to the meter on his dash. i noticed that the little mark was almost at empty.