t w e n t y - t h r e e

i stood in front of my bedroom mirror and sighed as i tried to find an outfit. i don't know why i was so concerned, maybe it had something to do with hanging out with the most popular girl in school. usually, i wasn't phased my superficial things like popularity, but it seemed to bother me today. my sister happened to be home from college for the weekend. after what had happened at the school, my parents wanted her to be here whilst they went away. she also happened to come into my room at that moment too, and laughed when she saw the state of me. a half naked teenage girl, red in the face and hair half up.

"oh baby sis, what's wrong?" she asked, stifling her laugh as she leaped onto my bed.

"don't laugh, lucy. i'm stressed." i responded, covering my face with my hands.

"i'm sorry! but seriously, what's up?"

"i'm supposed to hang out with some new people, and i don't know what to wear. apparently, i have no clothes!" i replied. she smiled, sympathetically, and then went into my closet. lucy pulled out a box labelled 'lucy's hand me downs'.

"see, if you actually bothered to open this box, or any of the others things i gave to you, we wouldn't be in the predicament." i rolled my eyes at her, but she wasn't wrong.

she pulled out a coral skirt, a sparkly belt with a gold buckle, and gold bracelets. then, she went into my closet and chose a dark blue tank top. whilst styling me, she tucked the shirt into the skirt, and buckled up the belt around my waist. then, she found a pair of dark blue earrings, and allowed me to clip them in. i slipped into some dark tights, and finished the outfit off with some black flats. my hair was now curled and i had a light layer of makeup on. lucy looked proud of her creation. we started walking down the stairs and into the kitchen. i put my phone and purse into the bag she had leant me. just as i went to walk out the front door, lucy stopped me by clasping my wrist. 

"are you doing okay? i mean, after the other ni-"

"i'm fine, honestly. you don't have to worry about me." i responded. she smiled, and let go of my wrist. 

i slipped out of the door, and shut it softly behind me. i was using lucy's car to get there, which would prove to my parents that i was responsible enough to drive. the plan was for me to pick up allison and lydia and we'd go to the movies. however, since allison and scott were no longer dating it made no sense for us to hang out. i'm guessing she didn't want to be rude, as she refused to cancel. i pulled out of the u-shaped drive way, and pulled into allison's. she smiled at me as i rolled in, and got into the passenger seat. 

"hey!" she exclaimed, putting her bag in the back. "how are you?"

"i'm doing alright, how are you though, after the other night?" i responded, hoping she would open up about scott. ever since he found out we were hanging, he practically begged me to find out what she was thinking. 

"um, i've been doing as good as expected, i guess. it's hard, you know?" allison explained. i nodded in understanding, beginning the drive to lydia's house. 

allison put the address into my gps, which caused a laughing fit as we tried to figure out how to work my sister's car. i had to pull over so we could calm down, and eventually figure it out. when we continued the drive, the conversation soon shifted back to her and scott. i wanted to explain that i thought she was extremely overdramatic on wednesday night, but i thought it would make the situation too awkward. 

when we got to lydia's house, she was impatiently waiting on the driveway.

"i thought we agreed on eleven?" she asked as she slid into the backseat. 

"right, but we had to make a little detour." allison replied, glancing at me. this caused a little giggle, which lydia sighed at. 

"okay then..." 

at the beacon hills mall

"okay girls, time to go shopping!" lydia exclaimed, looping our arms together as we exited the movie theatre. 

i was a little bit surprised when lydia said this, as i thought we were just going to watch a rom-com, and then parting ways. allison, lydia and i tried on loads of cute outfits, even some that were so ridiculously stupid. we got smoothies and window shopped for a while, too. my clumsy ass had even knocked down a row of mannequins. by the end of the day, i had over five shopping bags flung over my arms. i had also come to like lydia, as i was seeing a more casual side of her. she wasn't being overly rude or playing dumb. although she was still being bitchy, she was being herself. all the clothes i had bought were approved by lydia and allison, and i realised that maybe having girl friends wasn't that bad. usually, when i went shopping, stiles and scott barely glanced at what i had chosen, and approved with a nod. it was why i tended to dress like a guy.

by the time we were leaving, i was exhausted. i could still drive, i just knew that i would fall asleep as soon as i hit the pillow. lydia was now in the passenger seat. whilst driving, i heard sniffling in the back. i wasn't sure what it was, but when i looked in the rear view mirror, i saw allison crying. i smiled sympathetically, and pulled over. when allison realised we had pulled over to check on her, she really broke down. i didn't question what it was about, i knew it was because of scott. we comforted her for over twenty minutes, which i was completely fine with, the girl was hurting and the last thing she needed was me complaining that i was tired. although i didn't agree with her reasoning to break things off with him, i knew that she did it for a reason; and she was clearly struggling with that decision.