Chapter Three

That stab to the heart from before was nothing compared to the agony I felt in that moment. My mouth opened and closed but no words came out. I was in shock. Damien's eyes turned hard.

"Accept the rejection, Jack." He said in a firm voice. I took a few steps back as I shook my head. My mate. The one who was supposed to love me for all eternity, doesn't want me. He doesn't want me. He doesn't love me. All those months, staring and wishing for him to be mine, wasted. Completely wasted. 

He doesn't want you.

My breathing grew heavy really quickly. 

"Accept it, Jack." Damien growled as he grabbed on to my upper arms with such force that there will be bruises. 

He doesn't love you.

My heart was beating so erratically I could barely feel it. It was so fast. I can't believe that this is happening. 

You're nothing to him.

I turned and ran out of my room as fast as I could. Thankfully the crowd downstairs had moved on so there was nothing blocking me from running out of the pack house. As soon as I was outside tears started streaming down my face. But I didn't stop running. Every step I took away from him was excruciatingly painful. I ran out of the territory and into the thick, lush forest that surrounded it. I must have ran for at least 20 minutes before I slowed down and came to a stop. I was thoroughly lost. But I didn't care. I dropped to the floor and sobbed louder than I have ever cried before. It felt like my chest was being ripped open over and over again. I cried deep into the night with no sign of the tears slowing down. 

He doesn't want you.

My thoughts betrayed me and somehow I cried even harder. The amount of pain I was in was indescribable. My breathing hitched when I heard footsteps. I looked around but I couldn't see anyone. My stupid basically human eyes couldn't see much in the dark. I heard a low growl and I finally saw a pair of red eyes reflecting in the moonlight. I didn't do anything. It crept closer. 

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

My heart was pumping extremely loud in my ears. I just sat there as the rogue got closer and closer. 

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

He pounced and landed right on top of me. I felt his claws digging into the soft skin of my stomach. I felt my warm blood spewing out. I didn't scream. 

THUMP THUMP THUMP

I felt him take my throat in his massive jaws, biting down. Black spots danced in front of my eyes. I welcomed it. This pain was nothing compared to what I was feeling from the loss of my mate. His claws dug further into my stomach as he started to pull on my neck.

THUMP THUMP

I was losing a lot of blood. I could feel it pooling beneath me. The rogue was growling savagely as he tugged and clawed. I could feel the links to my pack starting to break. It felt like a rope that was being pulled too tight and started to snap. I hope Ryan will be okay. I don't want him to panic. The rogue clamped his teeth down tighter onto my throat. Blood was flowing freely out of my mouth. The world felt cold, the only warmth coming from the rogue on top of me. 

THUMP

Damien's face flashed into my mind. His beautiful features. With me gone he'll be free. He won't have to worry. The mate link started to crack, like fragile pottery that was dropped. The rogue suddenly jerked his head back.

SILENCE