Chapter Ten

We laid there just talking until there was a knock on his door. From the scent, I knew it was Damien. I growled quietly.

"Dinner's ready." He didn't speak very loud. I hope he's embarrassed. We got up and pulled the door open. He couldn't meet my eyes. Good. We all walked downstairs and into the dining room.  We filled our plates and sat at the table. I sat next to Ryan who sat next to Damien. Damien was at the head of the table, of course. I heard someone sit next to me and I looked over to see Damien's mother, Lacy. 

"Jaqueline. It's so good to see you." She said with a genuine smile. I smiled back and gave her a hug. We released each other and began eating.

"So where have you been the last 3 years?" She asked.

"Oh you know, just floating around the country. Living that rogue lifestyle. How have you been?" I asked her.

"I've been good. As you probably know by now Johnathon and I had to take over the pack again for a little while. I'm glad Damien has managed to become Alpha again. He's doing a good job." She said with a smile. Johnathon is Damien's father. I laughed quietly.

"Good job? He can't even keep a single rogue in check." I said to her quietly. I heard a low growl and it brought a smile to my face. I'm going to love getting him all worked up.

"Well I mean, it doesn't help that the rogue is his rebellious mate." She replied in an equally quiet voice.

"If he didn't want a rebellious rogue as a mate, he shouldn't have rejected me in the first place." I popped a piece of meat into my mouth and chewed while she giggled. I like her. We chatted through dinner. I ended up getting seconds and thirds since it'd been a while since I'd eaten. After dinner Ryan wanted to show me something. He led me upstairs and we stopped at a familiar door. He pushed it open and I saw my old room. It looked exactly the same. Except the bed looked like it had been slept in recently. From the scent it wasn't hard to guess who.

I left the room, went to Ryan's and grabbed my bag and took it back to my room. It was only just after dinner but I was feeling exhausted. That dominance display with Damien really took it out of me. I shut my door and walked towards the bed. I peeled off the sheets and tossed them in the corner. I don't want to sleep anywhere that smells like Damien. Fuck him. I found old spare sheets in the cupboard. They were absolutely covered dust but they'll do. I made my bed before grabbing a towel from the cupboard and making my way to my bathroom. I stripped down and got into the shower, the hot water pelting my muscles. 

As I washed myself I could feel all my scars under my fingertips like braille. Some were much bigger than others. They were excruciating when I first got them. Healing them was nearly as bad. I finished in the shower and got out. I wiped the steam off the mirror and stood there looking at myself. I definitely fit the stereotype of being a rogue appearance wise. I started drying my hair and walked back into my bedroom, not caring that I was naked. No one could see me anyway. I pulled on some underwear from my bag and flopped into bed, not worrying about a shirt, pants or a bra. I couldn't care less. I pulled the sheet up to my chin and quickly fell asleep on the soft mattress. 

It's an upgrade from a rock.