Chapter 6: Afflictions

Leaning back in the chair, I smiled. I felt so utterly surprised and pleased and ecstatic all in one; in over 24 hours I'd found a new place to stay, made a friend and got a job.

"Thank you." I told Cara honestly - she was a godsend and I reminded myself to repay her in some way.

She gave me an indulgent smile which I returned.

I was smiling a lot recently - it made me feel so much more like my age.

"There is a uniform you're required to wear, but I insist you and Cara go shopping while you have your freedom."

I didn't object; I'd always loved shopping since I was very little.

I remembered shopping with mum and the smell of her perfume as I clung onto her whilst she dressed me in cute dresses.

I hadn't been shopping in such a long time, I felt I needed this as a kind of therapy.

***

The first shop we came to was River Island. It looked very...trendy, and was full of girls all prettier and more confident than me.

"Cara, do you know how to use makeup? I'd like to buy some," I whispered as we entered the shop.

Some girls looked us up and down; first Cara, looking at her perfect figure with envy, and then me, flitting their long eyelashes up and down me. I withered under their stares.

I convinced myself that not everyone judged on appearances, so ignored them as I followed Cara further into the shop.

I watched as she headed straight for a pair of shorts; she held them up and asked me, "Do you think my Dad would approve?"

I shrugged, "I've known you guys for a day, I have no idea, Cara."

She smiled and paged through items of clothing as I copied.

Unsure of my clothes size or style, I picked out some basic jeans, tops, socks and a coat.

I wished mum was here; she'd know exactly what I'd suit, and though I was warming to Cara, I still felt like I needed a second opinion.

Looking in the mirror of the dressing room, I rotated, looking at myself in disgust.

My bones jutted out I looked so, so frail. I'd lost so much weight and I hated it. I had no...shape. No curves, no nothing. Just skin and bone.

My eyes watered and I blinked them away frantically, deciding the clothes would do for now, and replaced them with my own.

Glancing briefly at all the price tags, I let out a low whistle, startled.

Perhaps we'd need to go somewhere cheaper.

"Remind me I need to pay you back." I told Cara as we exited the first shop.

She put her card back in her purse with a flourish as I held our shopping bags, feeling in a lighter mood. "No, Olivia, you don't have to pay me back."

I felt bad, but conceded that she was stubborn in that way. I'd find a way to pay her back.

"Uh, Cara? Is there a Superdrug nearby? I need to buy...lady stuff." I blushed.

Cara smiled, "Sure, and I can help you pick out makeup!" She squealed and clapped her hands, as if this was something she looked forward to.

Her enthusiasm was infectious, and I soon found myself sharing in her exuberance.

***

After a few hours, Cara had allowed me to buy us lunch, and as we enjoyed a bite of our subways, she spoke up.