Chapter 20: Lock and Key

For the first time in a month, fear reared its ugly head and chilled me to the bone.

I watched the car creep to a halt, its headlights like menacing eyes.

Rooted to the ground, I tried desperately to think of a solution - anyway I could escape.

It was like watching my past and my future colliding.

Running to Mr Paisley's office, I knocked rapidly on the door.

"Olivia?" He asked as I ran in, somehow out of breath.

"Mr Paisley! My father is outside the hotel!" I said, my heart beating so hard I thought it would escape from my chest.

Mr Paisley was seemingly unfazed by this, "That's great! I'll let him in!"

Of course, he had no idea who my father was or why I came here in the first place.

"N-no! Please, keep him out! Please." I begged, my world tumbling around me.

I'd done so well to escape my dad, and it was like he was the darkness, always there, dragging me back.

"Why don't you want to see him?" He asked, curious. He had no idea, and I couldn't bear to look at his kind face any longer.

I knew where I wanted to go.

Niall, my mind said.

"Olivia?" Louis asked, opening the door.

This time, he didn't make a smart comment, for which I was grateful.

"Not now, Lou. Where's Niall?" I whispered, my voice tense and anxious.

"Liv? What's wrong?" Niall asked, standing behind Louis.

Louis stepped aside and walked away and soon I was in Niall's arms. He smelled warm and was a comfort.

We stood in silence for a few moments; it was like he could sense my fear and was draining it from me with his embrace. I felt empowered by his touch; completely disarming.

I buried my face in the nook of his neck and whispered, "My father's here."

His body tensed beneath my arms, and I looked up at him with my wide, fearful eyes. "Where?"

"His car is outside the hotel." My body was rigid, and for the first time I regretted being here.

It felt like just his memory was opening my wounds and this time I was bleeding from inside, where he'd hurt me the most.

Did I hate him? Could I ever forgive him?

Niall cupped my face with his hands, wiping away stray tears. My eyes were blurry but I could still see his bright blue eyes, clear above anything else. I realised then that I trusted Niall, and wanted more than anything for him to be mine, and I his.

I craved his touch the most, it made me feel treasured and valued.

"Liv. Look me in the eye." He said.

He brushed away more tears. "You and me. We've got this. I promise he won't hurt you."

And his words held so much promise that I truly believed him. I didn't know how he would, but I believed that he would defend me, and if the time came, I would defend Niall.

"Niall?"

"Hmm?" He asked.

"Thank you, I can't believe you'd help me." I whispered and I saw him smile a little.

"For you, anything." Niall said simply, and his words completely debilitated me.

The atmosphere in the suite was quiet, but his words were lingering in the air, like rain suspended in the air.