Chapter 9: Seclusion

On the evening, after the last meals were served, Cara and I were told to tidy up the kitchen.

"Forever young, I wanna be, forever young!" Cara sang at the top of her voice as we washed up in the restaurant kitchen; I soon joined in where I knew the words, using a ladle as a mic.

We broke out into laughter and I splashed water on the floor.

Cara slipped and fell over and I stared at her, laughing.

"What was that for?" Cara crossed her arms as she clambered to her feet.

I stifled a giggle and she playfully hit me with her spatula.

"I'll get you back, Nicholson." She promised.

"What are yo-" I began, eyes widening as she grabbed a can of whipped cream and squirted it on my face.

She burst out laughing, clutching her sides, tears running down my cheeks.

I put my hands up in surrender, "Okay, okay. I'm sorry! Put it away now."

She cautiously put it down on the island and, quick as I could, I grabbed the can, pulled off the lid and aimed it at her face.

Cara screamed and chased me around the kitchen, trying to anticipate my next moves, until Ben, head chef, made us clean up.

Pouting, Cara turned to me and mouthed 'Your fault'.

*****

"Thanks for getting us in trouble." Cara, as ever, blamed me.

I rolled my eyes, "You're the one who introduced the whipped cream!"

Cara laughed, "It was fun, though."

She tilted her head to one side, something I noticed she did a lot, and asked "How come you took your time in room service? You were more than half an hour. I had to help some millionaire find their Louboutins." She grimaced and I raised an eyebrow in bemusement.

"Ah. Well, about that. One Direction asked for a big batch of cookies, I had no idea it was them who ordered it. Liam invited me in and we all just...talked." I omitted the part about Louis and Harry messing around, as I didn't want to make her feel like she was missing out.

Cara smiled, "That definitely sounds like them! You're so lucky, Liv!"

I smiled at her nickname for me and then remembered my manners. "Sure, but if it wasn't for you or your dad, I dread to think what I'd be doing." I said sadly.

Cara pointed to my arm, "The cuts...are they healing?"

I nodded slowly, "Yeah, I think so."

She extended her arms for a hug, but I shook my head. "I- I'm not...it's too hard for me right now. In time, you know. All in time." I tried to reassure, but I felt so pathetic - I couldn't even hug my own friend.

It was just far too overwhelming.

I realised just how bad this all was; what my dad had done to me was unforgivable, and I used to think it was okay. Now, I couldn't even hug a friend. It felt like he'd paralysed a part of me and I couldn't accept any affection.

In the end, everything turned to darkness.

"Do you have a middle name?" Cara asked, changing the subject.

I realised I hadn't said anything for a minute, lost in thought.

"It's May, remember? My twitter name is Olivia May." I reminded her.

"Mine is Marie," She told me.

Ah, Cara Marie Paisley. I briefly wondered if her mum or dad had chosen that name.

"My hair smells like whipped cream, I'm going to wash it." I announced.

****

His grimy hands were wrapped round my neck, I felt my head become dizzy and my throat enclosing.

"Dad, I swear, I didn't take your money! You spent it all." I gasped between breaths. His hands were rough and my hair was caught between his fingers.

"Wrong move, Jane." He uttered mother's name like a cadaverous chant. She was gone, dad, you took her life.

He released my neck all at once and slapped my cheek so hard I felt blood rush to the surface, spitting at me as he let me drop to the ground.

I felt the darkness loom over me, and for once it was welcome.

I drifted into sweet, potent seclusion, where pain was numbed by silence.

****

"Olivia, Olivia, wake up! It's okay, you're okay."

I was startled from my nightmare by Cara, hovering over me, gladly remembering not to touch me.

I blinked a few times and remembered I was safe.

"Olivia, what's wrong? Did you have a nightmare?" She whispered, looking at me like I would fade.

I noticed now that she'd put on the bedside lamp and had left her bed to see me.

I nodded, sobbing; allowing more tears to fall onto the duvet.

"No one will harm you now, I promise." She said sincerely.

Wordlessly, she tucked me into bed and gave me a sweet smile. "You're safe, Olivia. Go to sleep, I'm right here."

I heard her pad across the room and slide into bed but Cara's promise stayed with me, and soon I fell into a light, dreamless sleep.