Chapter 14: Strobe Lights

I was sat on a stool at the bar drinking some random drink Cara got me, watching as she danced with some random boys.

It tasted strong and my head was woozy.

Louis and Liam were nowhere to be seen, Zayn and Niall were elsewhere, and Harry had met a fan, though was eyeing the boys Cara was dancing with.

I noticed him break away from his little entourage and stepped towards Cara. He placed a hand on her back. My breath hitched.

Oh, Cara! Lucky you! I thought, happy for her.

I watched as she gasped at him in shock, but danced with him.

The song was far too upbeat for their lazy swaying, I observed, but was soon distracted.

My skin prickled and there was a hand tracing patterns on my small arm.

"Alone?" A deep voice asked.

"No." I replied. "Get off me." I spat.

"It looks like you are." He continued.

"Well, I'm not." I snapped.

He removed his hand from my arm and I breathed a sigh of relief. This was the real reason why I was so scared of being touched; imagine if I'd drunk too much, and he'd come along.

What would I do then?

I shuddered, picked up my drink and ignored his drunken stare, waiting for him to back away.

He grumbled something less than kind before slamming his drink on the counter and stumbling towards the dance floor.

"Mind if I join?" Someone asked me.

"Sureeeee." I sighed, dragging out the word, exasperated.

"Great! So, how are you, Olivia?"

I froze, "H-huh?"

"It's Niall!" He chirped.

I smiled, "Oh, hi! Sorry, I didn't realise it was you." I blushed, grateful that the dark room made it hard for him to see me.

He smiled and finished his drink. "Want one?" He offered.

I shook my head and indicated to my one.

"Why aren't you being sensible?" I asked, watching as he ordered some strange, amber coloured drink.

"Because I'm Niall Horan. By the way," he paused and leaned closer to me, so he wouldn't need to shout. "I was wondering when you'd be off work. I thought we could go somewhere."

My skin heated and I smiled at him. I really enjoyed his company.

"Saturday, I think I'm free." I said, surprised I could even think straight.

The club was hot and my drink was cold, sharp and unusual.

Niall placed his hand on my arm. I gasped inaudibly, his close proximity startling me. His touch was burning, it gave me tingles. I'd never felt anything quite like it.

Perhaps it was the alcohol, or my touchy phobia, or the fact that I still had a harmless crush on him, but a surge of nausea overcame me.

I stood up, "I felt a little sick."

Niall stood with me. "I'll walk you to the bathroom."

I smiled weakly. He steadied me as I shakily took a step, gawky and uncoordinated in Cara's heels.

It had been years since I'd worn heels, and I wasn't prepared for this torture now.

I noticed the flashing strobe lights start up, and my head pounded.

I tried, really tried, to remember what the doctor had said about flashing lights...flashing...

I ran into the bathroom stall and shut the door, leaving it unlocked.

I could feel alcohol rushing through my veins and still saw the lights even though the stall was dark.

My stomach heaved.

**

"Olivia, are you in here? You okay?" Cara opened the stall. Her voice was full of concern.

I groaned and opened one eye; my head was pounding, hurting, aching. I'd never experienced anything like it.

"I feel fantastic." I said, voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I see you've got your sarcasm back." She laughed, kneeling down next to me.

"Come on, let's get you home." She said, slinging an arm around my waist and dragging me up off the floor.

"I w-was c-comfy there." I slurred, yawning.

My mouth tasted disgusting, I noted.

"Well I can leave you drunk in a smelly public cubicle...or you can actually sleep in a bed."

Cara had sobered up.

"I'm d-drunk?" The word made me feel even worse. "I'm drunk!"

"Yes, Liv, you are very drunk indeed. I'm so glad dad is away on business." She said, though I paid little attention.

"How are we getting hooome?" I asked, pointing to her face lazily.

"Harry's driving us and then coming back here. Not exactly the safest plan but he says he hasn't had much to drink."

My eyes widened and a smirk appeared on my mouth.

I attempted to nudge her with my elbow, "You and Hazza, huh?"

She blushed furiously.

"D-don't deny it, Carls. I saw you dancing with him."

"Shut up. You're completely drunk!"

"So are you." I replied.

Cara opened her mouth to reply, but shook her head.

"Let's get you home. You'll be the death of me, Olivia May Nicholson."

"Hey!" I prodded her cheek and breathed in her face.

Cara scrunched up her nose in disgust, "Your breath stinks! Come on. I'm not taking you out ever again!"

"I'll hold you to that."

Suddenly, Cara was walking, taking me with her, and we emerged from the bathroom into the muted light of the club.

"I think it was the strobe lights." I shouted to her.

She nodded. "Sorry, Olivia. We'll need some kind of way to get around that."

I nodded.

As I looked up, I saw Niall, and all at once he had his arm around my waist, helping me walk.

I smiled up at him with gratitude, Cara getting the message and letting me go.

He felt warm, a great comfort.

I imagined I looked and smelled as disgusting as I felt, but this time, I let it go.

His touch didn't frighten me - and it was too late to force him to let me go.

He wouldn't understand, and I didn't want to hurt him.

"Thank you." I croaked out, my throat hoarse.

"It's okay. Glad you're back in one piece."

He squeezed my side tighter, and I winced. He didn't seem to notice.

I was still healing, in all aspects, but I realised my first step forward was to get over my touchy phobia.

His fingers were warm against my side, making me blush.

Oh, Olivia, I scolded. When will you learn?