Chapter 13: Vanity

**Niall's POV**

I'd been staying in the hotel for six days now, and in this time I'd been doing all sorts of promotions, photoshoot sand noted views with the boys.

It'd been two days since I saw Olivia, which I guessed was down to the work load she'd been given.

"Cannonbaaaalllll!" I yelled, jumping into the hotel pool.

Louis laughed and jumped on my back.

I spun round and dropped him in the pool, chuckling as he resurfaced, water dripping from his hair and face.

"THAT was uncalled for!" Louis yelled, shaking his head.

I laughed and swam to the middle of the pool where Harry and Liam were chatting.

Zayn was sat on the edge of the pool, splashing his feet about.

He liked to pretend he was serious and brooding, but in actual fact couldn't swim.

"What are we doing today?" Liam asked, wading towards us.

"Why don't we go out tonight?" Harry suggested.

I saw Zayn roll his eyes - Harry always wanted to get drunk.

I shrugged, "Maybe we could invite Cara and Olivia."

Liam raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that against the rules?"

"They're not underaged, they're eighteen." Harry spoke up. "Besides, I'm eighteen too."

"I'll go find Cara." Louis grinned.

I heard a wail and saw Liam's eyes grow wide. "Zayn!"

He'd fallen into the pool.

**Olivia's POV**

Laying on my bed, I stretched out my tired body.

The past two days had been hectic; an influx of new guests had stormed the hotel, and with shortage of summer staff, I had no hope in talking to any of One Direction.

I was still learning about my job - how to tidy the rooms and do towel art for guests on the first night, how to carry plates and pour wine correctly. It was all very daunting, but it made me feel wanted, useful.

I remembered speaking to Niall in the play ground almost two days ago, and I smiled.

He was so easy to talk to - he wasn't dull or too chatty.

He told me about his album, family and Ireland, whilst I revealed the smallest amount I could about my past to him.

The best thing about getting to know him, and vice versa, was that I knew he was listening.

He was a great listener; it made me feel like I was someone worth talking to.

I'd only really known him for a few short days, but I found myself wanted his stay in the hotel to last longer.

"Hello, Miss Horan!" Cara called, opening the door as she stepped into the room.

She peeled off her maroon blazer and chucked it at her bed, yawning. It appeared she, too, had been working her socks off.

"Hi?" I blushed.

"You and I are allowed to go out tonight...so how would you like to go out for a sneaky drink?" She winked.

"I didn't know you were a drinker." I muttered.

She shrugged. "I'm only asking because Louis invited us out." She stifled a Cheshire-cat grin.

My mouth dropped open. "Is that a joke?" I tried to remember the date - it wasn't April Fools yet, was it?

She shook her head, "Come on, I've got a dress or two you can borrow."

She smile on her face was contagious, and soon I found myself grinning too.

An uneasy tug in my stomach reminded me of the profound effects alcohols could have. My dad, I thought sadly.

"Cara...I- my dad." My voice cracked on the last word and her smile faded.

"Oh, Liv, I'm sorry. I'll just tell them you don't want to go, and we can stay in tonight." She said, but I could tell she was reluctant.

I couldn't prevent her from having fun, especially not after everything she'd done for me.

I took a deep breath and reminded myself that I was so much more sensible than dad.

"Cara, I want to go. Don't worry about me. It's not often that One Direction ask you out for a drink, eh?" I put a brave smile on my face and Cara beamed, spinning around and shouting in glee.

I laughed with her and watched as she slowly got her voice back.

"I've got some dresses, come see." She told me, and I hopped off the bed and followed her to her side of the wardrobe.

She picked out a red bodycon dress as well as a black skater dress.

I looked at them, biting my lip.

I didn't think red was my colour, and bodycon would show how thin I was.

"I like the black one." I smiled.

She nodded, seemingly pleased with my choice. "Good. I wanted the red one anyway." She grinned and I laughed.

**

I stepped into the black dress and glanced myself over in the bathroom mirror.

It stopped a little above the knee so it didn't look completely indecent.

My thoughts of dad hovered over me like a dark cloud, but I pushed it aside.

Who was he to prevent me from having fun - I mean, he wasn't even here!

Tonight, I'm going to enjoy myself. No one is there to stop me.

As I re-entered the room, Cara gave out a low whistle. "Look at you, Olivia! You look pretty good." She smiled, looking ever so stunning in her red dress.

I found her red dress fit her perfectly; she had curves in all the right places and knew exactly how to show it off.

"You too! Now...what should I do about my hair?" I tugged at it in frustration.

She tutted and rummaged through one of the drawers by her vanity desk before pulling out hair curlers.

"I have the perfect solution."