Chapter 11: Black Out

* This chapter may be triggering

A/N - Dedicated to @crazyreader12345, I'm sorry to hear about Alena and that this chapter reminded you of her. I didn't consider that it may have been triggering to some readers, so this is a warning before you guys read on x

The blinding light of a small room woke me from my sleep.

A man was watching me, clipboard held under one arm.

"Olivia Nicholson?" He checked.

I nodded and then winced. "Ah!" A pain shot through my head and I closed my eyes immediately. It was a strange sensation: a dull ringing in my head which wouldn't subside.

"Hey, Olivia. Are you alright?" Cara.

I opened one eye to see her rising from her seat.

"Yeah, think so." I croaked.

I felt dizzy and warm, too warm.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice unrecognisable.

The doctor spoke up, "You had a seizure and were admitted to hospital two hours ago."

I gasped as Cara reached for my hand. She squeezed it reassuringly.

The doctor looked at me, "I just need to check your vitals and then I'll give you two some privacy."

He checked me over and, after a few minutes, exited the room.

I watched him leave before turning to Cara.

"I don't understand. How did I have a seizure?" I asked. I remembered nothing of the past two hours.

I blinked, my eyes still susceptible to the light.

"Tommy came into the lobby a few minutes after Niall had left. He found you lying on the floor and called the ambulance straight away."

I looked at her in surprise, trying to recall what happened between then and now.

"When we got here, the doctors said only family members could visit the ward."

I sucked in a breath, "What did you say to them?"

"That they were both away on an extended business trip and that your uncle - my Dad - was asked to let you stay with us for a while." She explained.

I smiled, "Thank you, Cara."

She smiled back, "How do you feel now?"

I attempted to sit up with the aid of Cara.

"I'm better, a bit tired, but I'll be fine. I hope."

"I'll get the doctor. Um...he has some news to tell you." She said.

My stomach churned and tried to search Cara's face for any signs of emotion.

Nothing.

***

"According to your cousin, you were exposed to a lot of high intensity light. You had a seizure due to this, which means I need to carry out a test on you. This records the electrical activity of the brain by picking up the electrical signals from the brain cells. It won't hurt, and will only last 30 minutes."

My head swam with all the medical terms he was using - electrowhat?

I paled. "What is the test for?"

"You may have photosensitive epilepsy, Miss Nicholson. Let me explain." He set down his clipboard on a table at the end of the bed.

"Photosensitive epilepsy is a sensitivity to flickering lights, usually resulting in a seizure. It is quite common, and around three in every 100 people suffer from it." He reassured.

"Anyone with photosensitive epilepsy has trouble with processing the flashing of lights. It's far more common for those aged 7-19. I don't want to worry you, Olivia, but there is a possibility, if only slight, that you suffer from this too."

I frowned as tears pricked the corners of my eyes, "What brought all this on?"

"Have you been exposed to any flashing lights lately? Strobe lighting or things like camera flashes?" He asked.

"Yes, um, camera flashes." I didn't explain further, but he simply nodded and didn't press for more details.

The doctor nodded, "You may find that consumption of alcohol, or lack of sleep can sometimes increase your photosensitivity."

Lack of sleep. It was only ever since I ran away that I'd been sleeping for long durations. Maybe this was what brought it on.

Even she I wanted to sleep, I was taunted with nightmares. It became impossible for me to sleep.

"Cara, I need to run this test on Olivia now. If you could just wait outside please." He dismissed and Cara slowly released my hand, standing up.

Whilst the doctor's back was turned, Cara rolled her eyes and my lips perked up in a smile.

I watched as he set up a machine, fear coursing through my body.

It seemed I couldn't escape all my problems.

***

Approximately forty minutes later, the test was over and Cara was allowed back in.

"The test has come back positive. You do in fact have photosensitive epilepsy." He analysed.

I nodded, expecting this.

"Do you know how long I've had this?" I asked curiously.

"It's hard to say, it must've developed as you grew up. I'll have to prescribe anti-epileptic medicine for you; this calms down the severity of any epileptic fits." He said.

I nodded and stared at Cara, who was looking at me sympathetically.

"Stay for a little while longer whilst I prescribe you some tablets, and then you are free to check out." And with that, he left the room.

I released a breath, looking at Cara helplessly.

I really wanted to be hugged, but I knew it would only frighten me.

"Let's get you home, trouble. You need to take your mind off things."

As I climbed into the car, I realised that everything would change now.

I'd been shut in the dark, literally, for so long that I was oblivious to everything on the outside world.