Chapter 12: Sun and Sea

I was allowed the day off when I returned, exhausted and overwhelmed.

"I hope you'll feel better for work tomorrow."

I hoped so too, but for the time being, I closed my eyes and let sleep overtake me.

***

It was a hot day.

Hot enough for the beach, anyway, and my hair was sweeped in a bun on top of my head.

I was leaner, fitter, an ideal version of me with non scarred skin to match.

The sun was high in the sky, and there was barely a cloud to be seen.

I felt strong arms wrap around my waist from behind and I tilted my head backwards to see who it was.

"Guess who," A teasing voice said against my ear, sending shivers down the back of my neck.

I shook my head stubbornly.

"I know it's you, Niall." I laughed.

He spun me around and grabbed my hand, dragging me towards the sea.

I laughed as he splashed about like a maniac in the water, motioning for me to join him.

"I. Can't. Swim!" I called.

"I'll guide you, come on Liv!" He reassured me, flashing me a smile.

I returned it and tiptoed to the water's edge cautiously.

I looked up, waiting to see Niall's sweet face but was met with a huge splash of salty water rolling off my cheeks, my ears, my nose.

Niall cracked up and I sent him a glare.

"Watch your back, Horan! 'Cause I'm getting it!" I screamed, hoping my comeback was a good one.

Niall's confused and amused expression answered my thoughts; comebacks really weren't my thing.

I took this as an opportunity to give him a shove into the water.

He toppled backwards and got sand all over his back.

"Okay! Okay, it's a draw!" Niall put his hands up in surrender.

I nodded smugly and turned to go back to the beach when I felt sand being shoved down the back of my tank top.

"Hey!" I yelped, chasing after him.

He tripped over and I landed on top of him.

Tendrils of hair fell across my face and Niall gently brushed it away.

A blush covered my cheeks and my eyes fluttered closed.

My blush deepened as Niall leaned in.

***

"Wake up!" Crooned Cara in my ear.

She shook me by the shoulders and my dream faded away as my eyes opened.

"Cara! You woke me up." I pursed my lips and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Why are you complaining? You've been asleep for three hours."

"Really?" I gaped.

She nodded. "Anyway, Niall was asking about you. He wants to see you, I think." She grinned and I blushed.

"Look at you, little Liv blushing!"

I swatted her and she smiled.

"Why does he want to see me?" I asked.