Zombie Blues

The school day had been less than exciting, so when the last bell rang everyone was relieved to escape the classrooms and head out into the sun.

Zed leaned against one of the columns outside the school building as he waited for Addison to come out. While he waited he waved goodbye to Bonzo and Bree who were going out to see a movie, Wyatt and Eliza who were going out for Froyo, and Willa and Wynter who were heading to the elementary school to fetch the younger werepups.

Finally as the last of the students trickled out, Addison emerged from the building. Zed smiled as he walked over and pulled her into a hug. "There you are, I was getting worried."

Addison chuckled and hugged him back. "Sorry, I was reminding everyone on the cheer team about dance class tomorrow afternoon with Bucky."

"Couldn't you have just sent a group text?" Zed questioned.

Addison sighed. "Yeah, but with this being the off season I don't always get to talk to everyone. Besides, everyone was wishing me happy birthday too."

"Point made." Zed nodded. "So have you had a good birthday so far besides having to come to school?"

"It's been the best." Addison smiled. "And now that school's out for the day we can find something to do together."

"Yeah." Zed chuckled nervously. "About that, there's something I need to tell you."

Addison eyed him curiously. "What is it?"

Zed sighed as the two of them started walking towards the student parking lot. "You remember how Zombies have to have their Z-bands checked once a year, right?"

"Yeah, what about it?" Addison asked. "Didn't you get yours checked back in March around your birthday?"

Zed nodded. "Yeah I did, but because a bunch of us are graduating in a few weeks we all have to go again. Apparently Z-Tech has created a new Z-band that will be less noticable and allow us to travel around safely without having to worry about malfunctions."

"That's amazing Zed!" Addison beamed, but her smile fell when she saw the look on Zed's face. "But why do you seem so down about it?"

"Because my appointment is in an hour." Zed admitted. "I tried to reschedule, but they won't allow it unless it's an emergency. I'm so sorry Addy, but I can't hang out tonight."

Addison could see the hurt and disappointment in Zed's eyes. She knew that he would much rather stay with her than go to Z-Tech. Addison had heard her father talk about how the Zombie Patrol sometimes went around and picked up Zombies who had skipped out on their appointments. Even though the monster laws had been abolished, it was still mandatory that Zombies attend all their medical and Z-tech upgrade appointments.

Addison slipped her hands into his and gave him a big smile. "Zed it's okay, these things happen. We got to have fun at the party last night and we got to cuddle all night. I'd say even if I don't get to spend this evening with you, it's been the best birthday I have ever had."

"I'm glad." Zed replied, forcing a smile. "But it feels wrong to leave you on your birthday. Are you sure it's okay? I mean, maybe we could ask your dad to get the appointment rescheduled. That could work, right?"

Addison could hear the apprehension in Zed's voice. The more he talked, the more she began to feel that this was less about leaving her alone on her birthday and more about Zed not wanting to go to his appointment.

"Zed," Addison's voice was soft as she locked her eyes with his. "You know you can always be honest with me. So is this really just about me, or is there something else going on?"

Zed sighed as he looked away. Addison had always been able to read him like a book and he knew there was no use in trying to hide the truth. Zed was a terrible liar in general, but he couldn't hide anything from Addison.

"I don't want to go Addy." Zed admitted. "I hate these appointments. They always have to take blood and give vaccinations so I'm being poked and prodded and then they make me sit in that tiny room and while they take my Z-band off and update it. I have to try to keep in control of my Zombie while feeling like a caged animal and a lab rat at the same time. It's awful Addison, and I know now I can control my Zombie but I always feel like when I go in I might not come out."

Addison's heart ached as Zed described what it was like at his appointments. She had thought their appointments were just like when she went for a check up. Addison hadn't realized just how much the Zombies had to go through. It seemed like whenever she thought she knew everything, something new popped up.

"I had no idea." Addison admitted. "I'm sorry Zed."

"Don't be." Zed reassured her. "It's just part of living the life of a zombie. I guess I'm just a little more nervous because I'll be going alone. Normally my dad takes me but he's working late. That's why Eliza's mom is watching Zoey tonight."

Addison thought for a moment before meeting his gaze. "What if I went with you? Then we could still spend time together and you wouldn't have to go to your appointment alone."

"I don't know Addy." Zed sighed. "It's not exactly a fun experience and they're pretty strict. They might not even let you inside."

"Even so it's worth a try right?" Addison pointed out. "Worse comes to worse I have to sit in the car, but if all goes well I can be there to support you. What do you say?"

Zed sighed as he leaned down and pressed his forehead against hers. "Are you really sure you want to go? I don't want you to be uncomfortable."

"I want to be there to support you." Addison replied determinedly. "I promise I am sure I want to do this."

Zed nodded, giving her a small smile. "Alright then, thank you Addy."

"Anytime." Addison smiled. "Why don't you follow me home so I can drop off my car and then I'll ride with you."

"Sounds like a plan." Zed replied, unlocking his jeep.

The two got in their cars and headed for Addison's house to drop off her car. As they drove along Zed couldn't help but think of how lucky he was to have Addison in his life, a girl who always stood by his side just as he always stood by hers. Now he just hoped they'd let her go in with him.

Author's Note

Hey guys here's another chapter for ya! I hope you are all enjoying the story and have a great night!

-Meloetta246